Need help buying my first BP/W system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RokK

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I need some advice choosing between two BP/W sets. Up until now I have been renting a reglar BCD jacket, but I plan to dive a lot more from now on and I want to invest into my own BP/W which should last me a long time.
I dive in warm waters, usually use single steel tank and wear 2 piece 5 mm wet suit. I am 194 cm high and weigh 86 kg.
I have set my eyes on the following 2 sets (Apeks and OMS). Can someone help me decide between the two or suggest something better for the price?
Also I am not sure whether I should go with Aluminium or SS backplate.
I am from Slovenia, so I would prefer to buy it from EU.
Thank you!

1. Apeks (can get it for 740 eur)
    • Apeks Wtx-D30 Single Cylinder Wing 14lt
    • Apeks Set Deluxe Harness
    • Apeks Wtx Stainless Steel Backplate OR Apeks Wtx Aluminium Backplate
    • Apeks Wtx Surelock™ Attachments
    • Apeks Wtx Surelock Pockets Weight
  2. OMS Pack Performance Mono Wing 32 Black Model S11518088 (can get it for 650 eur)
    • OMS Performance Mono Wing 32
    • OMS Smartstream Harness
    • SS OR Aluminium Backplate
    • Integrated Weighting system

Have a look here (just an example).
Buoyancy compensators - Wings - DIVING-STORE.net
Your choices seem a bit on the expensive side.
I have a tecline 17 set with aluminum plate that sells for 400eutos and I'm very happy with it.
I am 1,9m, 105kg and I dive with 15lt steel too.
In the summer I dive with a 2.2mm full suit with zero or 1-2kg weight.
In the winter I dive with a two pieces (long john) 5mm suit with 6kg weight.
I don't use the weight pockets provided with the set (too much bulk) but the trim pockets (also provided) are good to have eg at trips where I dive with 11.1lt Al or as simple pockets for small things.
For normal weights I prefer weight belt.
The usual 15lt wing or even 13lt would also suit me if you want to save bulk/weight.

BTW if you need help figuring out wing lift, weight needs etc have a look at the tool discussed here:
Optimal Buoyancy Computer
It might look a bit overwhelming to a begginer but it is very helpful - I wish I knew about it when I bought my wing to avoid buying the larger version (17lt) instead of the standard (15lt) or even smaller (13lt) that I actually need.

IMO, look no further than the DGX BP/W package for your first setup. Stainless steel backplate, harness with crotch strap, and a nice 30lb wing. All you have to do is pick up a few weight pockets of your choice--I like putting trim weight pouches on my cam bands, which can fit up to 16 lbs (~7 kg) of weight--and you're all set. Comes to under $400 or 360 euro for all of that, with free international shipping.

I agree with @Kmart921 upstairs to go with DGX. Good value for money.

From the choices you @RokK listed, I'd stay away from Apex simply because of all of it's proprietary components that prevent you from buying general aftermarket replacements from online shop or LDS and plug right in.

IMO, look no further than the DGX BP/W package for your first setup. Stainless steel backplate, harness with crotch strap, and a nice 30lb wing. All you have to do is pick up a few weight pockets of your choice--I like putting trim weight pouches on my cam bands, which can fit up to 16 lbs (~7 kg) of weight--and you're all set. Comes to under $400 or 360 euro for all of that, with free international shipping.
A very good deal.
Only downside is buying stuff from outside of EU (where OP is located) he'll have to pay 25% VAT on that price, and possibly a smaller extra percentage for customs handling.
The BP/W package alone would end up at roughly 390 euro.
Still a much better option than the two OP listed.

Hello, I need some advice choosing between two BP/W sets. Up until now I have been renting a reglar BCD jacket, but I plan to dive a lot more from now on and I want to invest into my own BP/W which should last me a long time.
I dive in warm waters, usually use single steel tank and wear 2 piece 5 mm wet suit. I am 194 cm high and weigh 86 kg.

5 mm "warm water"? :shudder:

Anyway, how much lead do you normally carry and where? A steel backplate is a couple of kilos, if that's what you normally use, you may be better off with Al plate and weight in trim pouches on the top camband. Otherwise will the steel plate and a kilo or two in trim pouches be enough ballast for you? -- That would also mean you don't need any "integrated" "fancylock" weight "system".

At 194 you may want to look around for "long" plate, too.

I would avoid any of the "deluxe" harnesses. Start with a simple one-piece. If for some reason it doesn't work out, you won't be out much money replacing it, but it should work just fine. As I recall, APEX uses non-standard fittings for their OPV and hose connections--ample reason to avoid them. Whichever you get, go with the SS plate.

wow.
you can get just about any top of the line BC ('cept for the SP hydros) for that coin.
But SB loves their BP/Ws for some odd reason I still have yet to figure out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom