Scubapro S550 or R395

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quiksilver2031

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Which second stage would you rather use with a Scubapro MK11 as the 1st stage. I understand one is balanced vs unbalanced. I am just curious if there is a real advantage of 1 vs the other. Scubapro S550 vs R395

I have used and would pick the S550 over the R395 for primary second stage. The design of the S550 does provide a better breathing experience IMO.

I have a S550 as my primary and an R395 as my octo on a MK17. I breathe off of each on every dive , and I find the S550 to breathe easier, but that is not a criticism of the R395, which is also a very good reg. I like the balanced S550 and think it is a better reg overall.

Traditionally, an "octo" will be tuned lower than a primary, so the direct comparison between the two when configured this way on a regulator skews answer...

Traditionally, an "octo" will be tuned lower than a primary, so the direct comparison between the two when configured this way on a regulator skews answer...

I do not believe my S550 and R395 are tuned differently based on primary vs octo, but I will check with my LDS. I have consistently used both regs on every dive, and the S550 breathes better whether it is right after servicing or 2 years later, just prior to the next service date.

Back
Top Bottom