How good is the compass on Scubapro Aladin Sport Matrix or should I get a Luna?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viper12161

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new OW diver, just got certified on 8/17. I am looking to get a new computer and am leaning very heavily towards the SP Aladin Sport Matrix. I noticed that is has a digital compass. I also coincidentally need a new compass. I got to use a Suunto SK8 compass during my navigation task this weekend and loved it. Very nice compass...but it's also $150. So curious if the one built in to the Sport would work well, or if I still need a better compass and the one on the Matrix is more of just a backup. I kind of liked the compass that I could hold in my hand versus the one I had on my wrist, seemed easier to use and read and follow. (I got a little lost with the one on my wrist, but it read way different than the SK8 and not really the greatest) But I'm sure with practice and a better compass that would change.

Any thoughts and input is greatly appreciated.

PS...not really looking for other computer recommendations...I really like the Sport. The only other one I was considering was the Galileo Luna....but I think I'm gonna start off a little cheaper for now.

Thanks!!!!

Hmmm...now that I look at it more, I may go with the Luna. Same compass question remains as they have the same. And what are the thoughts on going with the Luna vs Sport? It's double the price....however...if I want it a year from now it's another 1k I gotta spend instead of an extra $500. Decisions decisions!!!!

The compass on ASM is functional but certainly not pleasurable to use. Which is about as much as can be said about the computer itself...

It only works mostly flat and the readout is not overly informative.

After the one I purchased had 'issues' at the remote end of a Liveaboard itinerary and ScubaPro was next to useless in supporting the incident it is now serving as a backup to a Perdix AI. (Temp reading went off the chart and it semi-permanently locked up - cleared with an 'unauthorized' battery swap involving a butter knife, much cursing and a small amount of blood...)

There are many good computers out there but for the ASM I'd suggest that technology has moved on.
ScubaPro's dive log software is also fairly atrocious... if you can get it to connect at all.
I would personally not ever consider another computer from ScubaPro.

I would suggest renting the cheap ones until you know what you want (and are certain you'll keep diving) - then, buy a good one that you are 100% happy with. At the price point of the Luna you have many options.

Wow, I thought the Scubapro's were a good computer. I currently have an older Suunto that I am using. It's ok for now so no need to rent, but I'm not really happy with it. It's ok for under the water, but trying to get historical info off it is a pain and when I press the buttons to attempt to change fields, it kinda goes blank, and comes back. But it's like 20 years old. I think I'm gonna try a few dives with it for now just to make sure that I'm gonna stick with it (like you said). Maybe I'll grab a good retractable compass first

I will emphasize that a 'good computer' is the one you like - there's great variety out there now.
The level of support that the company behind it can provide is one of many factors to consider (and how far you have to ship it to get it examined or fixed).
Also, how field serviceable is it and is it's behavior when unhappy defined by engineers or lawyers.
Finally, it's worth understanding that some digital compasses only work in one plane while others work at any angle.

After learning my lesson I did a lot of research before buying the replacement - it was worth it and I'm quite happy now.

Also, the relative importance of a compass will depend a lot on the type of diving you're doing. If you're only doing guided vacation dives you can probably hold off a bit on getting a good compass if you know you'll be buying a computer w/ useful compass in the not to distant future.

That being said: beware cheap dive compasses. I had one that only pointed North some of the time.

Never liked compasses on my computers so I do not use them even though they are there. Have a "real compass" on a lanyard that I use from time to time.

I also am not a fan of compasses on dive computers. An analog compass on the left wrist is what I use. You can get a good one from DGX. Between the Aladin and the Galileo, the Galileo is a great dive computer, fully debugged and I wish had not sold mine. The only issue is they are a little bulky. I use a Scubapro Tec 3g as a backup which is similar to the Aladin. You should be able to buy the Luna cheap as most are going for the newer G2.

I replied to your other threads already. For the purposes of this thread, the compass in galilo luna sucks in my opinion. You can find used galileo lunas all over for $500 or less with a transmitter. I see them come up on this board in the for sale section occasionally. I'll probably be selling my last luna next spring when I replace my wife's with a ratio ix3m.

Certainly buying a used computer is a viable option. As indicated, Lunas and Sol are being sold as divers upgrade their equipment since these computers first came out over 10 years ago. But that is just a testament to their build quality. One item that hasn't been mentioned regarding the difference between the Aladin Sport and Luna is dive data transfer. The Luna used the older IrDA technology while the Aladin Sport uses Bluetooth. So in addition to the Luna you have to find/buy a compatible IrDA dongle. Also some divers have had problems configuring their IRDA on their computers.
SCUBAPRO LUNA WITH SMARTTRAK, LOGTRAK PROBLEMS

I have a Scubapro and then bought a second one. First one used IrDA and the second one used bluetooth. I eventually got both working on my Macs. This required making sure I had the correct OS and also making sure I had the newer logtrack and also making sure I had the correct bluetooth dongle. The IrDA worked quickly from the start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom