Scubapro Heart Rate Monitor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great news! :). Now that we got the pairing issue sorted hopefully the process of replacing the battery sorts out the depth issue. @giannis k . I'm curious, why did you purchase two heart rate monitors? Could you not get one replaced under warranty? @montage , have you tried replacing the battery? The reason why I ask is because with all the HR monitors I have owned, when they start acting funny, a simple battery change usually solves the problem. The computer may be able to pick up the signal in optimal conditions (the surface or close to it) with a weak battery but fail as you dive deeper. And who knows how long the original battery has been sitting in the unit slowly draining.

Josb may have solved the puzzle...

:acclaim: One more tip, you should start wearing the heart rate belt BEFORE you start the G2 computer.
I tried it with the computer already one and then putting on the belt but without success, to me now it seems that the belt should "have data to send" when the computer gets switched on.

would be nice if I was capable of solving the problem but ..... fingers crossed to the next dive.

OK I finally got the heart rate belt working during the whole dive :yeahbaby:
I started with a fresh new Energizer battery in the heart rate belt!
Working heart rate belt.jpg

Started with putting on the belt before anything else, switching on the G2C and holding it close (against) the heart rate belt and yes I got contact, the heart rate and body temp showed up on my G2C.
And finally it stayed on during the whole dive.

Actually I use the G2 with the heart rate belt a little bit longer than this discussion thread exists - and sorry to say it never worked to my satisfaction, at least not compared to the previous Polar belt with my old Galileo Sol. I reported problems, both with the G2 and with the belt, to Scubapro, several times. But I better do not comment on the reactions. Nevertheless my observations might be useful and help to destroy any hope except of they develop a new version of the product:
I used my Galileo SOL for about 9 years and about 900 dives together with the original Polar belt, without any battery replacement on the belt (yes, many replacements on the Galileo, none for the belt). And it still works. So I know how to use such a belt.
For the G2 with the Scubapro HRM belt my experience from more than 260 dives is that you have to replace the battery of the belt after 80 to 100 dives or at least after a year. Moreover, even above water you should not expect that the combination of belt and G2 works properly, i. e. both the belt and the G2 (hardware or software) could be the culprit. So this does not seem to depend on pressure (except that the belt is not qualified beyond 60 m). In some cases the HRM display of the G2 disappeared after a while or it showed absolutely implausible values, in particular for the heart rate (such as above 200 while you do not do anything special). Above water this disappearance is a rare case, underwater it seems to be a frequent case, both for heart rate and temperature. The displayed heart rate is often implausible for a short while, in particular when the display stops and comes back again. This looks like there is a communication problem and/or a problem with the decoding of the transmission protocol. The temperature is usually plausible, if it is displayed, alternating with the heart rate. I saw deviations from expected values of more that 2 degrees Celsius (2 degrees would probably be within the technical spec, although unbelievably high) in very rare cases only. So the major problem seems to be with the continuity and the correctness of the heart rate.
To make the situation even more confusing: I observed more problems in sea water than in fresh water. In many cases the signal disappeared as soon as I had my head below the surface in sea water. And the signal comes and disappears in all depths. And it distracts you from what you should watch and thus is a safety risk (apart from influencing the calculation of the dive in a questionable way). Yes. sometimes no problems can be observed. And the old Galileo/Polar had some problems, too.
So to conclude: the usability of the HRM-G2-combination is far from what you might expect from a world-leading company like Scubapro. Let us hope for the next version of this (in principle) nice thing. The Galileo Sol and the Polar belt were able to do it (without body temperature).
What I suggest? Dive without HRM. Or be ready to be part of an ever-lasting experiment, if you like such challenges.

... In some cases the HRM display of the G2 disappeared after a while or it showed absolutely implausible values, in particular for the heart rate (such as above 200 while you do not do anything special).

What I suggest? Dive without HRM. Or be ready to be part of an ever-lasting experiment, if you like such challenges.

HAHAHAHA YES I had exactly the same experience, I was already happy that the data started showing while I was still at the surface before starting to dive but yes I also see these spikes and also to me implausible, just relaxed diving.

I keep on diving with the HRM belt connected just to have more data to talk to Scubapro, in a couple of weeks I meet the Belgium technical guy again and I will show him these log files. Hopefully I can convince them to take action.
HRM Spikes.jpg

HAHAHAHA YES I had exactly the same experience, I was already happy that the data started showing while I was still at the surface before starting to dive but yes I also see these spikes and also to me implausible, just relaxed diving.

I keep on diving with the HRM belt connected just to have more data to talk to Scubapro, in a couple of weeks I meet the Belgium technical guy again and I will show him these log files. Hopefully I can convince them to take action.View attachment 536842
That's disappointing. I would think with such an important product for Scubapro they're bound to fix this problem. Mine has worked fine for the last two shallow shore dives and I'll be on a dive trip next month that will give the G2 a workout.

I must say, had I known the problems with the G2 I would have kept my trusty Galileo Sol which worked flawlessly and I could read the display better than the G2. I sometimes have trouble reading the small fonts of the messages. I'm getting a new mask with a stronger bifocal and hope that will help.
Adam

@VOGH @josb, thanks for the continued feedback on this issue. @Hatul, I look forward to reading your results when you get back from your dive trip. I understand that the Sol can link to the new heart rate band but unfortunately I don't believe anyone here has that combination. It would interesting to see if the same problem exist between the Sol and new HRM. That way you could isolate where the issue lies. Also, the Mantis 2 uses the new HRM. I wonder if those owners are having the same issue?

Anyway I think I will continue using my Galileo Sol and Polar HRM for a bit longer. its a great dive computer!

With regard to which belt might be used with which Galileo there is a simple answer according to Scubapro Germany (I translated, status June 2017):

The G2 can only be used with the new Scubapro belt.
All Galileo computers produced since 2015 and with serial numbers 1501XXXXXXXXX and beyond can only be used with the new Scubapro belt.
Galileo computers with serial numbers until 1412XXXXXXXXX and before are compatible with the Polar T31 coded belt only.
Scubapro said that the belts must be incompatible because of the related patent rights and they use different frequencies for transmission.

Personally, I can confirm that my old Galileo Sol does not recognize the new Scubapro belt. Nor does the G2 recognize the polar belt. (OK, one transmits heart rate only, so the transmission protocols must be somewhat different, but the software of the computers could be intelligent. So: as expected)
As I tried to dive with both computers and the two belts to compare the two systems I ended up with a mess. Sometimes Galileo Sol and G2 showed similar heart rates, sometimes very different ones. Scubapro told me that there was no intention to use more than one belt at a time and that is is not in accordance with the manual. Moreover, they pointed out that electromagnetic interferences might be a problem as mentioned in the manual (e. g. with flashlights, photo equipment). - If I may: What happens if two divers next two each other dive with computers and belts? Or as a photographer you should never use a G2 with belt? Sorry, I better shut up.

Thanks @VOGH,
I had that same question back last December.
Scubapro heart rate monitor
Perhaps @giannis k . was referring to Lunas made after 2015? The unit is still being offered by Scubapro in their 2019 catalog with optional Scubapro heart rate/skin temp belt so maybe that is the case.

We did a shore dive a few days ago here in S Cal. Max depth was about 45 feet and dive time about 60 mins. I had three cut outs on my HR trace, two were very brief and recorded a spike and one read HR of 0 for just under one minute. I must be the only person to have my heart stop for a minute and to continue to dive.

Another thing to mention is I was diving a wetsuit with a Thermalution heated vest, with the heating coils on the front, though I doubt the vest would interfere with the HR sensor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom