Best Breathing technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kareemovitch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear experts
Hope all doing great..i just finish my DM course
I have now 68 dives...my question is the best way to breath .... my last dive ends at 50min with 40bar...i see groups make drift with 70 min...iam quiet enough..i take quit long breath then adjust my buoyancy then i breath out when i need ...l think they reduce the reg valve to stay long...i dont know ..need your support about my issue
Bedt regards
Kareem

Are you a bigger guy? What is your level of cardiovascular fitness? These two factors will also impact your gas consumption rate.

You can always use an HP100 if you need more air, or go even bigger if necessary.

Just breath when you need to breath. If you try to “do” something you’re going to use more gas.

The real trick is to work on needing to breath less. Be neutral, efficient, in trim, and still.

This.

The human body needs a certain amount of oxygen to survive. The only way to reduce the amount of air you need is to reduce the amount of oxygen your body needs. Less movement, more efficient movement, relax and stay calm. Proper weighting means you use less air to maintain your buoyancy. Better trim means less energy to move through the water.

All those methods people use to control their breathing are just gimmicks. The more time you waste counting your breath in & out, the more time you waste that you could be using to actually enjoy your dive.

If you must think of your breathing, then think of it like breathing in yoga so that you have the zen experience.

Other than that, definitely go with PfcAJ's advice.

You've only got 68 dives. That may seem like a lot but it isn't.

You're really going to notice a lot of improvements over all, as your dive numbers continue to tick up.

Slow deep breath, short hold with glottis open, slow exhale with immediate inhale. As you will see, this is the opposite of the way you breathe on land

I've got no idea how I do anything underwater, it's just there it is, and then it's over
so I read your instructions up there and thought, what's this?? How do I check this

So I listened to a couple of my videos and then another dudesses and it's spot on

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Well I'm efficiently amused

Are you a bigger guy? What is your level of cardiovascular fitness? These two factors will also impact your gas consumption rate.

You can always use an HP100 if you need more air, or go even bigger if necessary.
iam 188cm with 99kg
you mean about hp100....(use another tank?)

Don't worry about air consumption, just focus on nailing your buoyancy and being the best damn diver you can be. I would much rather dive with an air hog who has their head in the right place and good technique than a self involved clown who can stay down for 90mins.
iam 188cm with 99kg
you mean about hp100....(use another tank?)

Bad news is you'll never be as efficient as a 60kg diver simply due to your size, I'm about your size and it infuriates me when my 5'5" 60kg students use almost the same amount of air i do but you just have to live with it. But good news give it time you'll get better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom