MV Febrina, Kimbe Bay PNG Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill: Everything depends on the weather. And as MA says above, the type of photography you're into, as PNG has beautiful possibilities.

But to answer your question -- since writing this report we went back to Pelileu, and we have booked a return trip to Raja Ampat this winter. But a return trip to PNG is not on our agenda. We're not sorry we went, but while there are places we will revisit, this isn't one.

So, kimbe bay not worth it ?? I did raja ampat and komodo and many other dives sites in south east Asia and was now thinking bout PNG,
In the month of september, what would be the best dive destinations in PNG, how is new Ireland, solomon islands etc .... ? Right season ?

Funscuba: I think if you have done those locations already, you should try Kimbe Bay. It's different enough from the others. Bring your macro camera lens and a magnifying glass.

Re season: I'm not an expert on the area, sorry! But I did like MV Febrina better than land-based diving, so I think you're somewhat dependent on where they go. Have fun!

I dived Kimbe Bay at Walindi then a trip on the Febrina from Kimbe to Rabaul a few years later in 2018.

To be honest I thought the diving at Kimbe was better, Rabaul region disappointing but the food was exceptional on the Febrina... and with only 6 divers on board we had plenty of space!

Which locations are you taking about ? "I think if you have done those locations already"

Funscuba: I think if you have done those locations already, you should try Kimbe Bay. It's different enough from the others. Bring your macro camera lens and a magnifying glass.

Re season: I'm not an expert on the area, sorry! But I did like MV Febrina better than land-based diving, so I think you're somewhat dependent on where they go. Have fun!

I've no experience on Febrina but dove with Walindi and then from Kimbe Bay to Fathers Reef finishing in Rabaul on board Star Dancer--obviously some time ago. I remember the diving as quite good but a notch below RA, Komodo, Eastern Fields, and about on par with Solomons. Definitely better than Caribbean diving. Lots of schools of fish, a few rays, random white tips at many spots, and lots of black tip and grey reef sharks on a few dives. The reefs themselves are spectacular, as beautiful as any in RA. In Kimbe Bay, there were enormous sea fans bigger than almost any I've ever seen. All in all, then I would have rated the area as 4 star. But that was roughly 10 years ago.

I've done two other trips in PNG, Wewak to Madang and Eastern Fields, Ashmore, and Boot Reefs. These were definitely superior and as good as any diving I've ever done.

Having done Kimbe and the Fathers Reef area, as well as the Solomons (both the classic Bilikiki trip and in the Morovo lagoon) I would say the Solomons are what PNG was 15-20 years ago, and the Morovo Lagoon is better than almost anything in PNG. The best way to dive the Morovo Lagoon area is via Uepi Island Resort - it's only 2 dives/day, but the diving is phenomenal (Uepi Point, when the current is right - is a fantastic shark dive - and less than 2 minutes from the resort - you can actually dive it from the dock if you want). Elsewhere, Devils' Highway (done from the Bilikiki) is one of the best manta dives around - if you get yourself in the right spot you'll have multiple mantas swimming right over your head for 30+ minutes.

Back
Top Bottom