Regs or BCD first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in a similar boat equipment-wise. For me, my next purchase will be regs and not BCD. One big reason: my mask, snorkel, computer and fins fit into my luggage with my travel clothes, etc... Once I get a BCD, I'll be fully committed to buying a dive gear bag and carrying it. Regs should fit in my existing luggage.

Allright, thanks everyone for your help!

I will get the regs first and then look out for a bcd.

I'll probably buy the Apeks ATX40, since it seems to be reasonably priced and I really like Apeks's mouthpieces (I know that you can swap them).
For the hoses I will most likely choose red braided ones, since the color fits my suit and should be good to see under water.

Red is worst choice for color underwater, FYI:

Colors Underwater

Also, I am not a fan of the braided lines as it is more work to rinse all the saltwater out of all the little spaces. A basic, good rubber hose is tough to beat, IMHO :)

BTW, that Apeks link is a great deal...I am a Scubapro fanboy...but, Apeks is my 2nd choice :)

Red is worst choice for color underwater.

Also, I am not a fan of the braided lines as it is more work to rinse all the saltwater out of all the little spaces. A basic, good rubber hose is tough to beat, IMHO :)

BTW, that Apeks link is a great deal...I am a Scubapro fanboy...but, Apeks is my 2nd choice :)
Right, I totally forgot about the discoloration. So yellow rubber hoses it is, then. Thanks for your help!

My regs are black with grey accents and only the face plate on my octo is yellow. Hoses are black. It doesn't seem to matter much. I believe red would look grey u/w also.

Why not get both in a package deal? You would probably save a lot of money.

I would say regs, bc:
-I'd like to trust my own reg, over a rental.
-if you travel light, you may want to bring regs, but not BC. (I sometimes travel like that)

However, if you are particular about your BC setup, you may want your own BC first. I acclimate myself to different BCs fairly easily, but you may not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom