Suggestions for Feb. sightseeing and diving Sydney and Cairns/GBR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No that is not correct. I am Cairns local and there are a few options for 3 Day 2 night.. Reef Encounter is available. It has daily departures (via a transfer vessel) and also a great variety of sites

..Scubapro or Reef Encounter would be the best option.

Reef Encounter didn't show up on liveaboard.com search. Good to know that as another option. I'm trying to understand the difference.

Reef Encounter is a bigger boat, so more stable, and has daily transfer boats taking people there and back. Reef reef tax is cheaper even though it's the same 3 days. The main thing I'll think most people would like to know is the difference in the sites and diving/snorkeling (between RE and Scubapro).

Oh, and are the diving/snorkeling guided?

I have sent you a PM but Liveaboard.com are an overseas booking agent and do not cover every trip. I am a local professional diver so know the Cairns market intimately.

Very little difference between the sites to be honest and both have a decent selection. You can find detailed info on their site below:

Reef Encounter dive sites
Scubapro Dive sites

Dives etc are not guided but shared guides area available for extra cost, however there are always staff in the water you can follow if needed and the sites are well contained, very well briefed, and supervised (so if you do get lost and come up they can send out a small tender boat to collect you.

Thanks. I booked Reef Encounter for 3D/2N for Feb. 8. It sounds a bit better for my wife as snorkeler.

Next will look for flights SYD-CNS, and sightseeing around Sydney and Cairns. Airfare sudenly jumped 15% last few days.

That's great you got the right liveaboard sorted for your needs. Enjoy your trip!

As Aquapro Dive Services (and you) mentioned, we don't list Reef Encounter and it's not one I know enough about to be able to recommend to you. I prefer to only suggest vessels I've personally dived from such as the Spoilsport, or ones I know from dive buddies that have good reviews.

It sounds like Aquapro have provided some additional local knowledge outside of my experiences, so that's great.

Enjoy and don't hesitate to ask if you need any NZ dive information.

Thanks,

Kathryn

I'm still looking into touring info for both Cairns and Sydney.

For flights, I heard Qantas is good and reliable, but it's the most expensive. How is Virgin?

Virgin just as good as Qantas on domestic flights. Jetstar is the budget arm of Qantas. Less frills and less leg room but again for domestic would be better choice than Qantas if saving dollars.

Avoid Tiger Air at all costs!

Virgin just as good as Qantas on domestic flights. Jetstar is the budget arm of Qantas. Less frills and less leg room but again for domestic would be better choice than Qantas if saving dollars.

Good to know. Seems like Virgin and Jetstar are similar in price, while Qantas is the most expensive.

Thanks.

Tiger's come a long way over the years. IMO they fly circles around Jetstar ... but I've not flown them for a year and it would look like they've regressed (domestic stats):

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 11.07.40 am.png

source: Airline On Time Performance, 2018-19 Financial Year Report

We've now booked Qantas flights to Cairns on Feb. 6. Now looking for accommodation in Cairns before the liveaboard on Feb. 8 morning. We're thinking of Cairns Harbour Lights as it is only 3 minutes walk from the marina on Feb. 8 morning. Is that a good choice?

After the liveaboard on Feb. 10, we can stay another place for 2 more days before flying to Sydney. For that I guess we can go stay anywhere, to experience another part of Cairns.

Harbourside is nice and right ontop of Reef Fleet Terminal.

Over the road is the Pacific Hotel and next door to the Pier is the Shangri la.

All very good and less than 5mins walk.

Cairns is a small place with tons of hotels and motels to suit all budgets. Worth google search

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom