Where to buy an 18650 battery on the island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it lithium? You do not want to expose that to air. Fire in the hole.

Get rid of it safely.

There are different lithium battery chemistries. Some will react if exposed to air and some will not.

As Gordy indicated, there are different compositions and risks.
There are different lithium battery chemistries. Some will react if exposed to air and some will not.

It is lithium (lithium-ion). How do I get rid of it safely here in Coz?
I'd start by taping the ends well with electrician tape, which is handy on dive trips so I carry some, but I've left the island, and you may not have any with you? Baking soda is handy for fire prevention or control, but again - I left and you may not carry any. There are two recycle locations and two fire stations, but none are close to your hotel.

I think do what you can to prevent further damages as you take it to Tres Pelicans, ask for tape and help there.

Is it lithium? You do not want to expose that to air. Fire in the hole.
Get rid of it safely.

It's just the wrap. No big deal. It ain't gonna blow up just because of that.....AS LONG AS YOU DON'T SHORT IT!!

Short term, tape the damaged area. Any kind of tape that will put it together, insulate it, and allow it to fit in the light will work. A torn wrap is not the end of the battery. You don't want the case touching stuff it's not supposed to.

Optimally, re-shrink wrap it. A number of sites sell lengths of to cut yourself, or pre-cut. With a PCB protected battery you have t make sure you either cut it yourself or get a shrink that is the right size since that kind of battery is longer.

FWIW you don't NEED a PCB protected battery. It's just a bit safer for people not knowing their way around li-on batteries.If you want you can remove the PCB, grind off the soldered connections, recover the whole cell, and use it that way. Lots of people recover 18650 out of old laptop packs and use them....BUT, you need a GOOD charger and a bit of knowledge, beyond the scope of this discussion.

Note - Pretty much ALL light+battery packages less than $$$ come with lame chargers (super simple, might even be safe for the most part), and possibly a decent battery, or a good one, or a lousy one. Without a GOOD analyzing charger you'll never know. Get one. They are worth the $20-40.

This site has batteries, chargers, and shrink for decent prices: IMRBatteries.com ~ Earth’s #1 source of Rechargeable Lithium-ion 18650 Batteries
I use them, they've been fine.

There are two recycle locations and two fire stations
Locations, please? Are the fire stations official recycling drop-off centers, or are they just accepting things that might catch fire, like Li-ion batteries?

The little apothecary shop across the street from the Chedraui mall parking exit (I think that's 5th?) will accept small quantities of recycling that they hold for Hazlo Hoy. She didn't seem too certain about batteries when I asked.

You should try and find (I am starting my search) for lithium ion battery manufactured like this.

Water-based lithium-ion batteries that don't explode now created

I had a flashlight flooded during a dive with Lithium ion battery installed and I thought it was going to explode (lithium ion battery and salt water don't mix).

My flashlight started bubbeling, leaking overpressure at gasket at depth from gasses escaping the battery. The battery was fizzing, I could hear it, inside the flashlight. I saw the flashlight was flooded. I unscrewed the flashlight a little bit so the pressure could escape and not explode. Once surfaced my DM put the flashlight in a bucket of water because he seen them explode before.

You should try and find (I am starting my search) for lithium ion battery manufactured like this.

Water-based lithium-ion batteries that don't explode now created
You won't find them yet
wikipedia:
Aqueous Li-ion batteries have a relatively short battery cycle life, ranging from 50 to 100 cycles. As of 2018, research is being conducted to increase the number of cycles to 500 to 1000 cycles, allowing them to feasibly compete against other types of batteries that have a higher energy density. In addition, issues relating to the manufacturing of the protective HFE coating would need to be resolved before the batteries can be scaled up in production for commercial use.
Quote source: UMD and U.S. Army Research Lab Engineers Develop 4.0 Aqueous Lithium-Ion Battery

Those articles are almost always unicorns. Promise > no delivery.

Doesn't much matter WHAT the chemistry is, if it floods in salt water, is capable of high amperage output (desirable/critical in high performance electronics), and housed in a watertight box (it would have to be or it would flood all the time.....duh), then problems are going to happen.

Locations, please? Are the fire stations official recycling drop-off centers, or are they just accepting things that might catch fire, like Li-ion batteries?

The little apothecary shop across the street from the Chedraui mall parking exit (I think that's 5th?) will accept small quantities of recycling that they hold for Hazlo Hoy. She didn't seem too certain about batteries when I asked.
Don't you live there? I'd think that you'd know more than I. I was really working on guesses, but despite assurances from fmerkel who may well know what he's discussing, I would not want to be on a plane with that failing battery, or sleep in the same hotel room.

I see two fire stations on google maps but I don't know how receptive they would be to accepting such. The same source show recycling centers on 135 ave and on Transversal , but I don't know if they like working with fire hazards, and then those locations on google maps are from lay member input, subject to mistakes.

He is diving with Tres Pelicans, so I suggested he ask them for help disposing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom