Cleaning station ... What/How/Which

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I have been cleaning my gear in the guest bathroom tub. It's been somewhat convenient, but also not. I can soak and wash it there and dry most things there, but then need to haul it back out to the garage.

I can now setup an outdoor station, and I want to get a 70gal stock tank with a drain plug. Will also build a drying rack next to it.

However, questions...

1) Does anyone know of lids for stock tanks? A lid for something like this: Amazon.com: Rubbermaid Commercial FG424288BLA Structural Foam Stock Tank, 100 Gallon Capacity, 53" Length x 25" Height, Black: Industrial & Scientific

2) What is your cleaning solution? I've been using Mirazyme. Other and better results?

3) How often do you change your water, or how many washes do you go through before changing your solution? I am in the water nearly 4 times a week that is a mix of pool, fresh, and salt. Hence why I'd like to have a lid for the tank so that I'm not wasting so much water.

Thoughts, ideas, recommendations...

I use a Rubbermaid stock tank also. Get 6 cinderblocks to sit it on so that it drains correctly. I don’t generally reuse the rinse water. Maybe I should...

I really like a drum like this.
You can get them on ebay/criagslist for really cheap and they work great for dunking the gear. At the las shop i worked at we dumped the water once a week or so depending on the floaties. For solution I seem to remember simple green or baby shampoo.

For draining, I found an old tub that someone was getting rid of, plumbed a hose to outside the garage and just let the grear drip into it.

We use the guest bathroom and use the exhaust fan for 12 or so hours and use the hangair system to speed the drying process. Every 3rd or 4th wash we add half a bottle of mouthwash and some sportswear laundry soap and give it 30-60 minutes to soak to kill the bacteria. Leaves it minty fresh.

If I wanted to cover a stock tank I would get a sheet of 3/4" extruded poly styrene(dow foam board) and cut it to fit.

I've been using Mirazyme for years, swear by it. I use about 5 squirts in my rinse tub every day I rinse my wetsuit, hooded vest...

I used to own a dive store and we acquired plastic 50 gallon drums from a company that processed food. They were more than happy to give me the tanks for free. I had to cut the tops off first. When you cut the tops make sure you cut 2 inches down so you are left with a skirt on the top. You can then trim the top edge of the open tank to allow the fitting of the top to fit snugly. We did this because our customers/students would arrive at different times of the day. We instructed them to take the lid off when they started rinsing and to replace the cover when they left. At the end of the day the staff the water out. I kept one large drum and one short one to wash gear. I used the short one for the wetsuit shampoo solution and the large one for the fresh water rinse.
56w55r_1_2.1542622441.jpg

What about JAWS Aqua Suds? It's supposed to be safer for the environment. I love the scent and you don't have to rinse off.

Back
Top Bottom