Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any idea what caused the hole? They're pretty tough to puncture.

How long was the dive? Any issues? Did you have tubes in? Any leakage through those?

Dives were about an hour, at about 35 to 40 feet max. I was filming a Fundies class actually. :)

I dive with my undergarment cuff material pulled up under the wrist seal to vent them (although I probably didn't need to vent at all since we were pretty shallow, I just didn't think ahead and did). My arm was a pretty wet but not a flood by any means. I didn't get cold. I was wearing the Santi Flex 190, water temp was about 60 since we weren't very deep. The undergarment was pretty wet, but it really absorbs the water well.

I have no idea how I holed the glove. It was right at the webbing of my thumb to forefinger. Probably grabbing a rough spot on the boat ladder I guess? The boat that I was on has one of the swim steps that is really pretty rough and you swim up and get on it on your knees, the boat crew removes your fins while you kneel, then you stand up and climb a ladder that's not in the water. I always hate kneeling on those cheese grater type decks because I worry about my drysuit. It has kevlar knee pads but still.

Sounds like the Vision. :)
Merry actually had a flood last week. She had some threads from her under glove on the orange O-ring without realizing it. It was the hand that still has a wrist seal. Water traveled through the rubber tube into her sleeve before she realized she was wet. She was OK diving the next day.

I bought a dozen XXL 720s on Amazon when they were on sale to go along with the few pair I already had. After a year and a half, I'm still on the first pair with no leaks. Does anybody want to buy some XXL gloves? :)

Somehow managed to get a teeny tiny hole in one of my gloves this week.
Wasn't enough for air to bubble out but enough water came in to soak the inside of the glove during a 90 min dive.
Turned it outside in to dry out and then put some superglue on the hole, worked perfectly :)
Done about 30 dives with this pair of 720 so far, for the price of a pair that is really cheap...
The dive center we operated out of this week were selling Showa 495 gloves, but at 46eur/51usd a pair I didn't really feel like replacing mine because of a tiny hole.
Still ecstatic about not having seals, it's the only way to use the Ultima system!!

SH
Somehow managed to get a teeny tiny hole in one of my gloves this week.
Wasn't enough for air to bubble out but enough water came in to soak the inside of the glove during a 90 min dive.
Turned it outside in to dry out and then put some superglue on the hole, worked perfectly :)
Done about 30 dives with this pair of 720 so far, for the price of a pair that is really cheap...
The dive center we operated out of this week were selling Showa 495 gloves, but at 46eur/51usd a pair I didn't really feel like replacing mine because of a tiny hole.
Still ecstatic about not having seals, it's the only way to use the Ultima system!!

SHOWA gloves tend to be ridiculously and cost prohibitively expensive from dive shops. Sample pairs to test fit the size can be obtained free directly from SHOWA. Once one knows their size for the model they prefer, replacements can be found relatively inexpensively on ebay.

-Z

The dive center we operated out of this week was selling Showa 495 gloves, but at 46eur/51usd a pair I didn't really feel like replacing mine because of a tiny hole.!
Before I began using 720's I used 495s most of the time. I always ordered them from here.

Okay, okay, okay....

I did it, but just one, I’m easing my way into this. It’s the warmest time of year here, and I don’t have anything deep and cold planned, plus having really good luck with my gloves and rings for a while now, I pulled out the inner ring, put in a latex seal I had leftover from my last replacement, reinstalled and cut back the latex seal, yikes, the was nerve wracking, not because of making a mistake, but just doing something different.

I wasn’t that particular cutting back the seal, just used some small snips and staying away from the drysuit material. The edge is a little ratty, but since it’s not under any tension, didn’t figure it would matter. If and when doing it again, I’ll use seajay’s method and cut them back neatly b4 the install. I’ll post up after getting them in the water, wish me luck.

Before I began using 720's I used 495s most of the time. I always ordered them from here.
That's a more reasonable price!
I saw a couple divers at the center who used the 495 gloves, when I told them they could pick them up for a third of the price just down the street at the fishing shop they looked at me like I was an idiot, "it's obviously not the same gloves" (it was).
720 for life, I'll keep diving mine throughout the winter with water temps down to almost zero degrees, probably gonna have to pick up some sort of undergloves though :D

I caught some threads on the o ring this weekend when I donned the gloves for one of my dives. Slow leak but not that wet but my hand was sure extra cold. Spent some time that evening cleanup up the threads and making sure there was nothing to get caught in the o ring again. Still loving no wrist seals.

Well I didn’t die, 80’ for 90 minutes, the water was 48f, told you it was warm, but I just did the left glove, certainly was easier to get my ds on, and even easier getting it off, the left was maybe a tad warmer.

I think I’ll do the right when I have a hot minute, using seajays method.

Done and done. 5 minute job, I put a hole in the seal I already had in place, so I trimmed it and put it back in. No problem!

Also, while I was out, I never had the feeling that there was too much air in the gloves, or it would pop off, in case someone was curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom