Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likewise, dive1bb.

Oh, that reminds me, I lost my bigblue light along the wall. It has my name on it, if anyone finds it I'll send you a prepaid box and $20 for your trouble. It seems to not work, this is the second time I charged it overnight, checked it in the morning, and it didn't turn on during the dive. Desert dry on the inside. I think it's still under warranty, so I'd like to send it back. Thanks.

Did two great dives off the Beachhopper on Sunday, 8/11. Spanish Bay and Eric's Pinnacle. Murky and green at the surface (I could barely make out my fins) but viz really opened up underwater! We estimated 30 - 50 feet in some spots. But clear often equals cold and it was 48 degrees on both dives. (Yay for drysuts!) But lots of kelp and very few little purple sea urchins for a change. Both dives were to about 60 feet and lasted 45 - 48 minutes. Great safety stop at the top of Eric's hanging out with a big schools of blues.

We arrived late but still had a good dive with lots of colorful sponges, soft coral, starfish, anemones, rock fish, orange puffball sponges, sea urchins, feather dusters, and other critters. I had a friendly harbor seal bump into me and follow me around a bit, nibbling on one of my fins. It's in the first part of the video. We dove to a max depth of 40 feet, temp. 52 degrees, vis 20-25 feet, sometimes less and occasionally full of particulate matter. We were mostly again in middle reef. Water very calm but it was also windy.

Today, 8/25/2019, at the Breakwater the conditions were wonderful once you got past 10 feet. From surface to 10 feet was a massive algae bloom, so even a foot away from your dive buddy you only saw a shadow. Past 10 feet you hit a thermocline, giving away to crystal clear water with visibility of at least 20 feet.

It was an amazing day a diving. The best dive was the 4th dive with 2 of my OW students who sip air. I got to take them on an amazing 40 minute tour to 40 feet. I showed them the kelp forest in the middle reef, then out across the sand channel to the wall, then the wall to 40 feet. They loved it! I loved it! Awesome way to end an awesome weekend.

Late update for Saturday dive at Pt Lobos. DPV to Three Sisters once again with a gas+deco plan that let us stay at depth slightly longer to enable my buddy to spend more time on photo and video. Ocean was super flat with practically no wind but the outgoing tide meant conditions inside the cove were less than ideal. It was hazy and full of particulate all the way to Lone Metridium but it opened up once we got out to the Sisters and dropped below 100ft. At that point, the viz opened up to ~40ft but it was still a little greenish. There were a bunch of large canary and vermillion rockfish which didn't budge as we swam by them - they looked like they may have been guarding their nests (??). While scootering back to the Worm Patch, we hit night dive conditions under the kelp as the sun went in and out of the clouds.
Great dive overall! Felt awesome to be back in the water after a few weeks of not diving.
20190824-6.jpg 20190824-1.jpg 20190824-4.jpg 20190824-2.jpg 20190824-9.jpg
20190824-7.jpg 20190824-3.jpg
-> 72min bottom time, 121ft max, 68ft avg, 30-40ft viz, 52F bottom temp

Monastery North very calm today. 20' vis 40' and above, 53 deg.

Breakwater vis 15' above 40' but below 10' of cloudiness. Just as cold...., should have stayed at Monastery.

Breakwater was so flat I experimented with 'the ocean is a lake today' entry/exit with sidemount tanks in hand, AL40s. It went well with fins clipped to chest and tanks neck clipped to waist and then carried by the valves. It was easier on land, as was the rig/derig in zero-g cool waters. Ocean entry all rigged up is best and it was rather far from 'keeping your reg in until on dry land'. But it was a lake.

We found a second cave to explore today.The cave we explored this time had a few openings where the sun beamed down and it was breath taking. No exit we could fit through like the other, larger cave but still fun and safe to dive in. Our dive was mostly near Coal Chute cove. Beautiful, warm and sunny day to dive. Pretty good vis of 25-30 feet, water temp. at depth 53 degrees. We reached a max depth of 39 feet for 47 minutes.

2 dives on the Escapade on Saturday with BAUE. There was a fair bit of fog as we motored towards Carmel in the hope of getting a dive in there before the wind picked up. The water inside the harbor and inner Monterey Bay was a gag-inducing dark brown due to an algae bloom

First dive was at the Needle in a little bit of chop on the surface. Viz wasn't good enough for either of my buddies to get photos but this site always has tons of invertebrate life so it was a good dive regardless.
08318.jpg 08316.jpg 08311.jpg
-> 50min bottom time, 84ft max, 52ft avg, 20ft viz, 52F bottom temp

The second dive was at Eric's Pinnacle in lake-like conditions on the surface and spectacular viz below. It was at least 60ft of blue water which let us hop among the various structures around the main pinnacle. Probably one of the best dives I've done locally.
08312.jpg 08314.jpg 08315.jpg 08317.jpg
08319.jpg 08313.jpg
-> 63min bottom time, 55ft max, 39ft avg, 50-60ft viz, 51F bottom temp
Shepherding 2 photographers is always interesting. Also, @dive1bb 's backup light doesn't like staying strapped down.​

Back
Top Bottom