Old Poseidon regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone

I have an opportunity to purchase an old Poseidon regulator but I was hoping if any of you familiar with Poseidon regs could help me identify it first. I know that it is a Cyklon but I can't tell if it is the 300 or the 5000.

Also, what are your thoughts on older Poseidon regulators? Are they a risky investment or are they just are efficient as any coming off the production line today provided they go through a service?

Apologies for the low quality image; it is all I have in the mean time.

68756710_2515652225158914_2795326383100788736_n.png

Poseidon Cyklon 5000's. Guts are the same as the 300, just have plastic bodies. No real difference and the plastic is arguably more durable despite not looking quite as cool.
First is either a 2960 or a 3790, but I can't tell without seeing the bottom. Old from the last century, but still works fine.

All parts are available for those regulators and you can take a factory authorized service course as an end user to learn how to service and tune them yourself, though may have issues in Africa finding one of those locally....

The key with these is that the IP is high, 165psi which means you can't put "normal" second stages on there and they have to stay together. The other one is they do use a custom hose which is annoying and the only adapters available are made by Omniswivel and are a bit expensive. Highly recommended to invest in those though so you can use standard LP hoses.

Poseidon Cyklon 5000's. Guts are the same as the 300, just have plastic bodies. No real difference and the plastic is arguably more durable despite not looking quite as cool.
First is either a 2960 or a 3790, but I can't tell without seeing the bottom. Old from the last century, but still works fine.

All parts are available for those regulators and you can take a factory authorized service course as an end user to learn how to service and tune them yourself, though may have issues in Africa finding one of those locally....

The key with these is that the IP is high, 165psi which means you can't put "normal" second stages on there and they have to stay together. The other one is they do use a custom hose which is annoying and the only adapters available are made by Omniswivel and are a bit expensive. Highly recommended to invest in those though so you can use standard LP hoses.
Noted. I wouldn't need to know how to service them myself but the local distributer also services regulators so that shouldn't become a problem. They also sell the full catalogue of Poseidon parts and accessories so I won't be left in the dark...

Regarding it being either a 2960 or a 3790, what is the difference between the two? I can get additional photos from the seller and DM them to you if you wouldn't mind. From your experience, are Cyklons reliable regs? I intend to use this in cold and/or deep water and also overhead environments.

@Chase Kaplan the 3790 is newer, is better balanced, slightly smaller, and has an OPV built in. For the Cyklon those differences are pretty negligible.

The Cyklon is one of the most reliable regulators ever built, a testament to the engineers in the 1950's that made it. It was the first single hose regulator in 1958, and has seen almost no changes since it was released. It is the preferred regulator for sump divers in the UK who are quite possibly the most abusive divers on the planet. If you look at pictures from almost any record setting dive in the last century, you will see either Poseidon Cyklons or Jetstreams. You don't have any reliability issues with them

@Chase Kaplan the 3790 is newer, is better balanced, slightly smaller, and has an OPV built in. For the Cyklon those differences are pretty negligible.

The Cyklon is one of the most reliable regulators ever built, a testament to the engineers in the 1950's that made it. It was the first single hose regulator in 1958, and has seen almost no changes since it was released. It is the preferred regulator for sump divers in the UK who are quite possibly the most abusive divers on the planet. If you look at pictures from almost any record setting dive in the last century, you will see either Poseidon Cyklons or Jetstreams. You don't have any reliability issues with them
That is terrific to know. Reliability is paramount over anything else. Thank you for answering my questions. I think I will buy one or two of them. Where do I locate the numbers you mentioned? At the bottom of the first stage?

@Chase Kaplan they are the same first stae. There is one o-ring that has to be there for the Jetstream that isn't always installed on the Cyklon *it comes in the kits though, so more often than not it is in there*. They differentiated them from the factory for that o-ring as well as the IP that it was set to, either 11.5 bar for the Cyklon, or 9.5 bar for the Jetstream.

@Chase Kaplan they are the same first stae. There is one o-ring that has to be there for the Jetstream that isn't always installed on the Cyklon *it comes in the kits though, so more often than not it is in there*. They differentiated them from the factory for that o-ring as well as the IP that it was set to, either 11.5 bar for the Cyklon, or 9.5 bar for the Jetstream.
Gonna buy one. Thank you, Tom. Appreciated

Back
Top Bottom