Code Cracked-Triggering a coral spawn with LED's in lab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
They've grown coral's underwater in the keys, but now they can trigger a spawn with just LED lights, multiple days in a row!. That could be ALOT of new coral

Florida Aquarium achieves major breakthrough to save Atlantic coral

For the first time ever in a lab setting, Tampa’s Florida Aquarium reached a major conservation milestone by reproducing coral two days in a row.

In partnership with London’s Horniman Museum and Gardens, the ambitious program is called Project Coral, and is focused on creating coral spawns in a lab, which could eventually help repopulate the nearly extinct pillar coral of the Florida Reef Tract.

"It's pure excitement to be the first to achieve a breakthrough in the world," CEO of the Florida Aquarium Roger Germann to CNN. "Our team of experts cracked the code... that gives hope to coral in the Florida Reef Tract and to coral in the Caribbean and Atlantic Oceans."

The project, which uses advanced LED technology to help signal the corals to reproduce, began back in 2014 with a focus on Staghorn coral, and his since shifted to pillar coral now that the species is classified as almost extinct.

Since generating a spawn for corals native to the Atlantic has never been done before, the breakthrough is a rare sign of hope for the embattled "America's Barrier Reef," which is located off the coast of the Florida Keys and has suffered considerably from bleaching events.

“Project Coral is ‘game-changing,’ said Scott Graves, Director of The Florida Aquarium’s Center for Conservation, “allowing us to spawn corals on site, create multiple spawning events across the year and drastically speed up restoration work to ensure the survival of Florida’s reef.”

Are the induced larvae just as healthy and have as much yolk/nutrients with them as the normally spawned larvae? Do you know if there's a scientific paper on the topic?

Fascinating idea. Let's hope it can withstand further scientific inquiry.

.. Do you know if there's a scientific paper on the topic?
I'm guessing they will publish soon. The big deal about this is a multiple spawn in a controlled environment with NO PREDATORS eating them. That's a big survival rate increase.

I'm guessing they will publish soon. The big deal about this is a multiple spawn in a controlled environment with NO PREDATORS eating them. That's a big survival rate increase.
I don't want to downplay it. I'd be curious to know the technique. In the home aquarium a lot of light manufacturers offer real time synced lunar phase moon lighting so it happens... and usually makes a mess in the tank. Lol. Capturing the spawn pre filtration is the hardest part, but with a big enough system and resources I imagine it will get done. Very cool.

Then people are gonna want to watch it happen....

coralhub?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom