It’s time to upgrade my fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking at getting new fins myself, I have SP Jets at the moment but they're too negative. I'm tossing up between the Mare Avanti Quattros and Apeks RK3s. I'm leaning towards the RK3s because the boat I dive from require you to walk to the back of the boat wearing your fins, I've found that much easier in my Jets compared to my old (longer) fins. Can anyone with the Mares please comment on what they're like to walk in?

Cheers

Since they haven't been recommended as of yet, I'll throw out the Hollis F1 "Batfins". Very stiff, very nice sidewall, great for frog and back kicking, but will definitely give your legs a workout, especially with fluttering. i think they're maybe even a little more negative then the Jets but if you want a fin that will give you control in current....they certainly fit the bill. From what I understand, too, they're great for drysuit diving if you ever go that route. I do see it in my future but gotta have the $$$$ to invest first.

You can see the F1s in this pic taken @ Palancar Caves in Cozumel about a week ago
48536299782_c11a9cc152_b.jpg
48536299782_c11a9cc152_b.jpg

I'll second the Hollis F1's for open water and strong currents. I was the original consumer tester for them way back in 2008.
For low to no current and tight quarters I use the HOG tech fins.

I have Deep6gear Eddy’s. great fins for frog kicking, but I am not proficient in frog kicking. So, in current, I flutter kick. I went back to my old fins until I can get enough practice on the Eddy’s in pools and no -current dives.

I've owned more fins than Imelda Marcos has shoes, I finally settled on DiveRite XTs for wet and Mares Power Planas for dry. I predominantly frog kick, can do all kicks in both but due to stiffness combined with my small size I'd not want to flutter in either for any great distance or length of time. I like stiff fins. Even with my small size I can generate reasonable power with minimum effort with both, especially the DRs.I have small feet FWIW.

I use Hollis f1 for my drysuit and if u have strong legs they push a lot of water. Spring heal is great on them also. Heavy but durable

I've used Jet fins (too heavy), jet sports (not bad, easy on legs but not enough propulsion in current), quattro in full foot and open heel (nice all around fin but not very stiff or strong in current), and have settled on RK3s. They are positively boyount, stiff, kick ass in current, shorter and easier to walk in than any of the others except the jets. Wish I had started with the rk3s

A shop owner loaned me his RK3s to see if I liked them. I bought them off his feet.
A few friends wanted to try them, they all liked them as well. They are working well as I have transitioned into hauling a lot more gear around in tech trim. I keep up if not out swim recreational divers. Worth considering.
I have 2 sets now. Large for the drysuit and medium for the smaller wetsuit boots. They both work good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom