Worth pursuing AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mastering buoyancy is part of open water for every single agency out there and WRSTC requirements. However, I believe, and I infer this from your statement but do not want to put words in your mouth, that this is not the case most of the time.

Using PADI as an example, as it is the most common case and people refer to it so much, the prequisite for Deep is Adventure Diver, which we all know is 3 adventure dives, the first dive of 3 different con ed specialties. So hypothetically, in the PADI system, a diver is "qualified" to take Deep after 7 dives. (I don't have the deep IG guide in front of me, so I am guessing there is no dive count requirement for deep). 5 or 7 dives, not much difference really. Especially if Fish ID or UW naturalist (which are valuable as complete courses by a qualified marine expert) count to that adventure diver rating.

For deep diving though, I fail to see how BLS, O2, and AED are useful for deep diving. Not sure how stress & rescue (the SSI course name for rescue, possibly others, but not PADI).

Again, it depends on an evaluation. With with my OW students in the past who were naturals, I'd still require a fundies like skills course (could be Essentials, fundies, or a NAUI/SDI course where the instructor augments the course to have similar skills requirements) if they were going for the shortest path to deep course that included either a twinset or sidemount (they'd first have to be trained elsewhere) to ensure they are solid divers. I personally require either twinsets or sidemount for anything below 30 meters/100 feet.

None of the boat captains in my area respect the PADI AOW rating. Not one. Hence my prior recommendation for fundies and then deep with an agency other than PADI. Fundies is respected (and preferred).

Kosta,
My taking Stress and Rescue and becoming a DAN O2/ BLS/ AED provider and logging 75 dives before taking Deep Diving was a personal decision. We all know that if things go south while you're diving deep, things can get really ugly, really fast. I wanted to be prepared to take the correct course of action during any emergency.

We all know that a new OWD diver that has "mastered" his or her buoyancy is a "unicorn". I haven't seen a unicorn yet. SSI has no dive count requirement for Deep Diving, but our shop owner, an SSI Instructor Certifier requires at least 24 dives before deep to mitigate liability concerns. I agree with you about requiring fundamentals and then deep.

Cheers!

Kosta,
We all know that a new OWD diver that has "mastered" his or her buoyancy is a "unicorn".!

Maybe you have a stricter definition of mastery, but by never allowing my students be on their knees and by using these methods for weighting: How I weight students in open water courses | Facebook, I have received accolades from experienced divers who went on the first post OW dives of my students and told me how great it was to not babysit them.

How do you weight your students? And do you ever allow them on their knees? I hope my tone is reflective of wanting a genuine dialog, and not a perceived as chest pounding.

Did not read all the posts, but if not already mentioned, google Hitler AOW...good for a laugh anyway.

Yes it is worth it. When you find an instructor tell him what you want to do. for instance be good at buoyancy and nav so he can hit hard in those skills. even if you pay a bit more. IMO exposure dives are just that. exposure and a quick one to boot to qualify for the card. Look to get some meat from the course. It may work best if you and say 2 others do the class where the instructor cant modify it to your needs. Nav to be honest you can learn from books. buoyancy you need feedback and experience to get you adjusted right. not close to right,,,,,but right. It takes experience to understand how to adjust your buoyancy. Deep of course so you can perhaps experience some narc'ing and go through reduced abilities that are similar to being under the influence. You start to learn some personal limitations. also learning how to judge distance is very valuable.

Did not read all the posts, but if not already mentioned, google Hitler AOW...good for a laugh anyway.
The new one from Andy Davis that is floating around FB where Hitler doesn't teach neutral buoyancy is absolutely hilarious because it is so true.

Honestly the AOW seems a bit of a money scam by PADI. Out of the 5 dives the PPB was actually useful, the navigation a little useful (all the dives I do I follow the guide anyway) and the other 3 no better than a fun dive. But it clears the way for any dives taken on a typical live aboard so its fine to get one. Just don't think that it makes you "Advanced" anything!

It all depends how much experience a diver has. I can honestly state that I got nothing from AOW course. I took it because I thought I'd be diving more charters and I be required to show a card. Turns out I've gone on 2 charters since then and since I went with the LDS the card wasn't needed as the LDS vouched for me anyway. I was solo diving sans any card on the 1st day. After 45+ years of diving at the time I took AOW I could have taught the course if I had any teaching skills.

My long journey of buoyancy control began in 1968 with a short UDT vest equipped with 2 cartridges and an oral inflator, then auto inflated horse collars, dry suits, poodle jackets and for the last 10 years a BP/wing. I was deep/deco air only diving during the 1970's as well as night diving. I was doing land nav long before u/w nav so it was adaptive.

So if you have the kind of experience I had then no AOW is not worth 2cents. However if you have only a few years and can find a knowledgeable instructor with good teaching skills you could probably get something of value from AOW training. You have to define and find the value.

To sum it up for me, I wish I could buy a boat instead.

Yes, it's worth it if only to avoid the aggravation of possibly having to miss out on dives due to operators requiring it due to insurance concerns. After that, get Nitrox certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom