zipper leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sushi Boy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently was given a used drysuit from a friend who has moved on from diving.

The first test dive I took it on seemed to go well, I didn't notice any leaks. Second time I dove it, I had a noticeable leak on my right side. Same thing on the 3rd dive. I paid close attention to make sure the zipper was fully zipped. Seals and seams are all in very good shape.

I blocked off the neck & wrist, pumped it up and with a little soapy water found a leak that's coming from the top of the zipper, right where the zipper seats at the end.

082219-001.JPG

Sooo, broke out the reading glasses and took a look at the zipper. There was a small amount of "goo" near the seat, which I assumed was old zipper wax & cleaned out as best I could.

I also found a small spur or nub of what appeared to me to be some rubber cement which had been pulled out by the teeth of the zipper. Not the best photo, but this is it:
082219-002.JPG

The location of that lines up very closely with where the leak was. Thinking that might've been protruding and keeping the zipper from getting a good seal, I trimmed it off as best I could.

Pumped the suit back up but got the same leak again.

Here's what I'm wondering. Could running a small layer of Aquaseal on the inside of that zipper in the area where the spur/nub was help seal that leak? Or would the metal of the zipper just cut through it?

Has anybody else here run into a similar situation that you were able to repair without replacing the whole zipper?

I think the aquaseal idea is great, I tried it and since the stuff will creep I ended up with a brand new TiZip a short time later, it got into the teeth and broke one off, end of zipper. Really once they start leaking to the point that it more than a damp spot just replace it. The replacement will run around $400 from DRIS and is worth it, you can also go the Seaskin route and just get a new custom suit.

Back
Top Bottom