Nuffa That.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My friend Jeff Shaw was sitting on a rock in that slot waiting for a wave when a big one came in and broke his ribs. I was knocked backward while putting on my fins and ended up losing one. I made the dive with one fin and bought a replacement on Ebay that same day. A few weeks later, a fisherman found my lost fin and returned it, so I have a spare.

During a Scubaboard outing, we had one diver break his ankle while his buddy received cuts and bruises during the exit in the cove,

Merry and I were diving with Ted Sharshan (Ted's Pinnacle) during the calmest of days. While exiting, he reached down to catch himself in six inches of water and broke three fingers.

I broke my left foot, but that was during the construction of Terranea Resort. The trail was muddy, so I had a great idea to remove mud from the tires of the wagon I used to haul our gear. I rode the wagon down the hill near the temporary parking lot. I tried to stop Fred Flintstone style but my feet instantly curled under the tires and I was thrown over the handle. I had cuts over 50% of my body and two broken bones. I'm a slow learner. :)

We also had a free diver drown there, an obese scuba diver died of a heart attack after entering the water and a fifteen boy making his first post-certification dive with his Dad panicked and shot to the surface in only twelve feet, suffering an embolism.

Those are only the injuries I've known about. I'm sure there have been more. I used to tell people that if you haven't been hurt at Marineland, you haven't dived there enough.

That was really cool! Personally, I find the entrance from that rock about a 1/4 mile north of the beach to not be that bad at the right tide level. Lay in that slot... wait for a incoming wave... and kick for your life as the outgoing wave shoots you out to deeper water. Still, coming back in on the "beach" is tricky. I have these neoprene boots with very thick felt soles. They have quite a bit of traction. Felt-soled boots are sometimes used by fly fisherman wading into streams for extra grip on slippery rocks.
Now there is the technique I know and love locally!

My friend Jeff Shaw was sitting on a rock in that slot waiting for a wave when a big one came in and broke his ribs. I was knocked backward while putting on my fins and ended up losing one. I made the dive with one fin and bought a replacement on Ebay that same day. A few weeks later, a fisherman found my lost fin and returned it, so I have a spare.

During a Scubaboard outing, we had one diver break his ankle while his buddy received cuts and bruises during the exit in the cove,

Merry and I were diving with Ted Sharshan (Ted's Pinnacle) during the calmest of days. While exiting, he reached down to catch himself in six inches of water and broke three fingers.

I broke my left foot, but that was during the construction of Terranea Resort. The trail was muddy, so I had a great idea to remove mud from the tires of the wagon I used to haul our gear. I rode the wagon down the hill near the temporary parking lot. I tried to stop Fred Flintstone style but my feet instantly curled under the tires and I was thrown over the handle. I had cuts over 50% of my body and two broken bones. I'm a slow learner. :)

We also had a free diver drown there, an obese scuba diver died of a heart attack after entering the water and a fifteen boy making his first post-certification dive with his Dad panicked and shot to the surface in only twelve feet, suffering an embolism.

Those are only the injuries I've known about. I'm sure there have been more. I used to tell people that if you haven't been hurt at Marineland, you haven't dived there enough.

Just nuts

I really enjoyed both of these videos as I have way more shore dives than boat dives. I can relate to the exit. Sometimes it was good...and sometimes not so much. However, there was only one location I dove with this amount rocks. Still not fun if rough.

I think these videos are great to show people who learned at a resort and only do a vacation diving to what it's like to be like a local and dive. A local anywhere.

My local diving is off a boat. Very little shore diving on my part of the Great Lakes.

This could easily turn into “Most horrendous shore dive” or “Most wild local dive” thread very easily.
I have a few I could contribute.
Some old timers say that you’re not a real diver until you’ve had your ass kicked a few times shore diving.
I don’t know about that, but I have had a good ass whoopin’ a time or two. Makes you feel pretty small and insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

For many of us, traveling to exotic dive locations isn’t always an option. If we want to go diving on a regular basis we have to make due with what we have.
Luckily I live fairly close to an ocean, not always the calmest ocean or the most ideal place to dive but it’s what I got.
We have lakes too but I think diving in man made lakes is creepy. I’d do better in rivers if I had to resort to inland fresh water diving.
Tahoe is good.

Eric would win the Most horrendous shore dive contest. Some of the NorCal sites are next to impossible to climb down to, and even if you get in the water, Great Whites may be around as well. :)

446-937-C.jpg

Some places you gotta say a few prayers before entry.... lol This is an entry technique not taught in OW!

That was really cool! Personally, I find the entrance from that rock about a 1/4 mile north of the beach to not be that bad at the right tide level. Lay in that slot... wait for an incoming wave... and kick for your life as the outgoing wave shoots you out to deeper water.
Still, some people don't seem to understand when not to dive. :) At some sites, three feet surf is not a big deal. At Marineland, two footers can hurt you.

View attachment 536283

Some places you gotta say a few prayers before entry.... lol This is an entry technique not taught in OW!

That's how ingress and egress is achieved at both Beavertail and Newton AV has well as Hazard Av appropriately named I assure you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom