My new toy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it's update time. I received the regulator, disassembled and inspected everything I intended to reuse. I got a Cyclone 1st stage and a HPR 2nd stage, a duckbill eliminator, and a new silicone main diaphragm. I didn't know the main spring was sold separately so I reused the old one.

I have hit a snag, I have no way to set the IP. Nothing I have fits the hookah port, VDH is out of stock and Herman doesn't have anything.
Does anyone have anything I can use to assemble a test setup they'd like to sell? Or any ideas how I can get this done?
AfterDark,

You can always use the ol' U.S. Navy field method. You have a balanced regulator, so IP does not vary as tank pressure drops. Therefore all you need to do is to mount it on a tank, opened so you have access to the interstage pressure adjustment nut, turn that clockwise until the regulator leaks, then back it off a quarter turn. This was taught in the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers to us in 1967, but using the DA Aquamaster on a 500 psig tank (unbalanced regulator, whereby interstage pressure (IP) increased as tank pressure decreased). Do this with your octopus attached, and if it starts leaking first, use it rather than your PRAM double hose second stage. This will get you in the ballpark, and allow diving until you can get the adapter for your gauge.

SeaRat

Nice regs

silicone diaphragm

Hello herman, any idea when someone is going to do another run of
silicone diaphragms that fit correctly, the current crop are too small?
I am quite sure they were measured and manufactured without any
allowance made for the deformation during application of the disc.

Thank you.

Hey John, in another post I posted I adjusted the IP by guess and hope, what you describe is just about how I did it. Thanks!

I'll be going to the welding supply store today for sure.

I went thru the sav a dive box again and found a fitting that turns a LP regulator hose into a LP inflator hose. The gauge I use for my MK5's IP setting, fits into the fitting because it's an inflator fitting. The cap on the hookah port fits the external threads on said fitting. So, I just need a coupling with like internal threads or a hose with 2nd stage regulator nuts and on both ends and I'm in business!

So my quest is complete!
I scored this at the welding supply store in Cranston, RI
The cost was an painful $20.00 but it's a one time shot. Pretty ain't it?
M24-25.JPG

dissassembled.JPG

]
assembled.JPG

Now I can run a octo 2nd stage from that port.
2nd stage hose.JPG

I set the IP at 110 a little low for the SP 109 I'll be putting on the hookah port. Can the HPR 2st stage handle a higher IP like 120-130psi?

Thanks all and especially Herman! Herman is a pleasure to deal with!

Yours is a beautiful quest, one that I shall replicate at the gas shop today

Thank you.

So you think its pretty don't ya? You are very welcome!
This is on the plastic bag it came in/ Western Enterprises M24-25 10231

@happydiver, I just got a silicone diaphragm from VDH for my reg if fit fine. Now may be the time to strike.

130 - yes. I like 125 for my rig, but have my ice rig at 110-115.

Well thanks....I had something for you but guess you don't need it now. :)
Go ahead and crank up the IP to whatever you like with a 500 psi tank. The HPR as well as the original second stage will handle higher pressures fine, I use 135 on everything I have, makes life easier. With the unbalanced DA, just make sure you use a 500ish tank as that is where the IP will be highest, it will drop 20-25 or so with a full tank. Also, that yoke is fine for 3000, a lot of us use them at that pressure with no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom