Quick Disconnect Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly, I would like to plan a series of dives as to estimate the depth and duration of each dive. Just like I would with a table.

Are the computers usually used for one dive at a time?
Most mass market dive computers don’t have that kind of planning feature, as most recreational divers don’t push up to the limits of the algorithm.
The Vision algorithm is DSAT, same as the PADI RDP. If you plan your dives with those tables, for a square profile, the real time measurement of your computer will build in more cushion to your NDL as you dive the plan. If you have an aggressive day planned, you will quickly discover how the computer allows a dive series that exceeds the NDL for square profiles.

Exactly, I would like to plan a series of dives as to estimate the depth and duration of each dive. Just like I would with a table.

It's not really worth implementing in a dive computer because
a) plan mode can't tell you more than the table would: NDL at max. depth and
b) between the one or three buttons and fairly little screen real estate, the interface would suck so much you'll end up using the tables or desktop software instead anyway.

And because the actual profiles are very rarely square at max depth, your plan would stop matching the reality by the middle of dive 2.

Thanks for the help!!

It all makes sense now

Well, as a slight counterpoint to the above, we have had in the Atomic Cobalt for 10 years now a full featured dive planner that allows you to enter surface intervals between a string of dives, change mixes with each dive, and enter complex profiles (in one minute time increments). The computer delivers deco schedules and predicted gas requirements for each profile based on your breathing rate history- it's basically everything you would have with desktop dive planning software. So it can be done, and it's very easy to use. It does help that we have four buttons, and use them to go up and down in depth and forward in the dive timeline. And to be fair the Cobalt is not really an entry level computer.
Cobalt Guide: Simulation Menu

Probably more useful for most divers is the ability to add a surface interval to your current status and look at no-stop times as they would be after various intervals.
Cobalt Guide:No-Stop Time Calculator

Reviving this thread since I'm following up on usage...

On my trip, I connected the Vision prior to the trip and never disconnected it for doing daily logs. Just prior to jumping in on the 21st dive of the trip, it failed to register the cylinder pressure, reading only 10 bar! I had rinsed and dried it with the second stages at the end of every day. Would it have made any difference if I had disconnected the Vision every day and made sure I dried the quick disconnect insides? (At the shop, after the failure, when I twisted open the quick disconnect, it was slightly wet, like less than a drop.) I think there was something wrong with the pressure sensor, but I want to make sure I'm treating it properly.

There can be water in the connection but that is normal. It comes out as you disconnect.

FWIW in general if electronics are going to fail they fail early in their life.

It should not matter if you disconnect between dives or not. A bit of water inside the QD should not be a problem. Blockages in the orifice that passes high pressure to the sensor are possible, but a problem with the actual sensor is more likely.

Great to hear, thanks! The repair/replace was supposed to take 5-7 weeks and after not hearing anything for 11 weeks, I dropped an email to check on things. (I'm a vacation diver, so wasn't in a rush.) A new one was shipped out in two days. I just want to make sure I'll be caring for it correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom