Suggestions before I abandon my FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow thanks for the blunt response haha. The only reason I asked is because I cannot imagine having to clear a fully flooded FFM, but then again I’ve never tried one. Surely with that much water volume, it’s very very hard? I would have thought that they have some other way to do it like one way valve or something....
At least on the Ocean Reef, just press the 2nd stage purge button. Air will fill the mask and displace the water out the bottom vent.

Wow thanks for the blunt response haha. The only reason I asked is because I cannot imagine having to clear a fully flooded FFM, but then again I’ve never tried one. Surely with that much water volume, it’s very very hard? I would have thought that they have some other way to do it like one way valve or something....
It has a purge valve so you can just exhale normally IF it floods, which is near impossible. There is also a purge "button" just like on your regular second stage so you can use that, too. I've practiced many many time doffing and donning my FFM at depth just to be proficient at it should an incident occur where I had to use that skill (and it did fairly recently). In this video you can see when I don the FFM even before I get all the straps properly secured I've cleared most of the water of the mask just from exhaling. At first I take a very shallow breath just to make sure I can breathe then either exhale or press the purge to get any residual water out. Pretty simple. Acutally, maybe even a little easier than a regular mask.

We used to use Ocean Reef FFM here at the aquarium. We had to keep multiple sizes and still had people that the mask didn't seal for - like what you are describing. We switched to Guardian FFM and never looked back. I have used and worked on/with many different brands and models. While I cannot recommend the Guardian highly enough, before giving up on equipment that you already own, I would look into either trying the other size skirt or trying to source a different material skirt.

Back
Top Bottom