Halcyon b/w or hydros pro for cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go with the Halcyon, the hydros sounds like it is one rough handling away from destruction.

You are on a slippery slope now!
A cold water single tank BP/W is not appropriate for travel IMHO. When you say cold water do you mean wetsuit or drysuit?
? Not good for travel? I have a steel plate in my BP/W and it's actually pretty easy to travel in. Folds down relatively flat and adds stability to part of the luggage. Does add some weight but if you're a light packer it's not too bad. My wetsuit is far more annoying in my luggage.

Since Halcyon's are modular, OP could also get an aluminum plate for air travel, particularly for warm water - would need more weights at the dive site but luggage would be lighter. And could switch out the plates for the steel when she's back home.

? Not good for travel? I have a steel plate in my BP/W and it's actually pretty easy to travel in. Folds down relatively flat and adds stability to part of the luggage. Does add some weight but if you're a light packer it's not too bad. My wetsuit is far more annoying in my luggage.

Since Halcyon's are modular, OP could also get an aluminum plate for air travel, particularly for warm water - would need more weights at the dive site but luggage would be lighter. And could switch out the plates for the steel when she's back home.

Different strokes for different folks. I travel with a DSLR camera/housing/ports/strobes so room/weight for me trumps everything else.

A cold water single tank BP/W is not appropriate for travel IMHO

Different strokes for different folks. I travel with a DSLR camera/housing/ports/strobes so room/weight for me trumps everything else.

I hate to nitpick especially over semantics and hope you don't think I am coming across this way but I just want to ensure that we are clear in what we mean so that the OP can make an informed decision as it applies to them specifically.

This sounds like it is a personal preference. When I first read that a cold water single tank BP/W is not appropriate for travel, it sounded like it is not sufficient/suitable or could be potentially dangerous before I thought about weight. So long as we clarify that it is not the case, we are good. :)

As @DBPacific and myself mentioned, you can switch out the wing and the backplate to make it "more appropriate" for warm water diving, or to suit the weight needed in baggage considering limits or other things that one might be packing.

My suggestions suit my style of diving and are to be taken as should all comments via internet strangers.
You can do what ever you want. Dive and let dive. My Cold water single tank rig is not the best option for warm water travel diving IMHO. YMMV
For me I don't want to carry around an STA and I don't want to use a large wing 35lb or larger to dive in board shorts and a rashie.
If you switch out the wing and the backplate all you are missing is some webbing and hardware to have two fit for purpose rigs and not a single rig that compromises.

VDH or DGX is better value for money
The old complete single DGX set up was only US$199.00 and the new unit now cost $349.00. But is still a lot cheaper than the H.

I would add the SS plate for extra $10.00 for cold water diving(dry suit).

I suppose I don't use an STA so I didn't really think about its added weight. How heavy are they? I also don't carry my weights with me, I just use whatever the dive op have and put them in my pockets.

The DGX set-up for singles is what I have and it's served me well in cold water (haven't been able to test it out warm yet). If you have good control over the inflator, I don't see why it would give a problem in warm water with the 30lb wing. Then again, I haven't dove it in any water warmer than 50F or a wetsuit less than 7mm thick so I don't know.

The BC IS a professional piece of equipment that is where the PRO comes from. If you purchase this BC you will be considered a professional diver and will be looked upon as one. Or maybe it is just marketing BS :wink:.

The noodle-y bits and doo-dads are kinda neat-o.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSW8gpAUHECpVRaaleK9f85b3lhUC_Vx2QGcYbRwFi4FeD-PRi8pw&usqp=CAc.png

I see OP is a gal. Halycon has a short plate that’s good for us shorter people. It put belt at my waist rather than on hips. Take a look at it if you’re 5’5” or shorter.

I personally run a hydros and really have enjoyed it for what it is. Like others have said it is a lot more stuff on it up front, meaning you have to decide really if the way that it is setup works for you at this point in time. That said, i would absolutely say only buy the hydros if you can get it at a steep discount or a perfect condition used one (got mine for a little less than 600) otherwise you are putting a lot of additional money into something that will tap out once you hit your recreational limit. I think it is a great device with a lot of small things that make it worth the cost for me (e.g. buckles on the arms for quick in out, inflator hose button is great for minor adjustments, foldability, replacement parts are easy, fast dry) but i would say at some point i will likely have a BP/W for future endeavors and for modification specific setups.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom