Nuffa That.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah it sure makes you appreciate the value of local knowledge. Years ago on one of my side trips to dive in the USA I started with some dives in Calif. Going in with surfers zipping around was a new experience!

I confidently judged the wave sets as we waded in. Braced myself and leaned into the wave expecting to wait till the lull in the set. WRONG! I was used to dealing withe the wave sets on rock platforms and rocky rubble. The wave washed back and took the sand out from under my heels and the next wave tumbled me big time! Exit was also different from what I was used to! Next dive I asked my local diver friend if anyone entered off the rocks at the far end of the beach. He said sure but he didn't know how and wasn't comfortable trying. lol I opted for following the local knowledge and by the end of my visit he said my entry/exits were getting pretty elegant.

Next diving was in Canada, followed local process on gear selection except gloves. Opted for my normal gloves for camera management. ERROR.. dang near froze my fingers off!

Next Florida shore dives. We did one dive had a SI and the locals debated canning the next dive as it was getting a bit to rough! I was astounded as it only had a few ripples in my book. Totally different to Calif they would have considered it dead calm! IMHO a smart traveler respects the locals or risks consequences they may not anticipate!

I got smart(er) and use a kayak from shore now. I choose beaches that are well protected as a point of departure and paddle north or south and come in by sea to those places with cliffs that people used to rappel down.
I have a nice wheel dolly and I can use the kayak as a cart to get my gear to the beach from the parking lot. Unlike Socal with 200’ cliffs, we have several accessible beaches that are right along side highway 1.

Ya know I thought the yak was the answer for me too, but I found for me it's just as much work as shore diving.

NorCal diver here. When I first got into diving all I did was shore dive and repeatedly got pummeled. My eagerness to dive overrode the negative. Fast forward to learning to tech dive and in reflection we thought we were just sore from aggressive diving but actually some minor bends in shoulders and shoulder blades from crawling out 2-3 times in a day. So now I boat dive it a few times a year and enjoy it better sand safer

Reminds me of diving in Cape Town, South Africa as a kid when I was young, stupid and fearless. No more!

I don't have nearly that many dives at Old Marineland (aka, Terranea). Not a place for the faint of heart. Can't imagine doing that dive with doubles. Won't touch it if the surf is even slightly rough. Still, a great place to dive when the sun, moon and stars are in alignment.
I dived there in double 120s a few times. I'm older and hopefully smarter now. :)
It's still my favorite shore dive, as there is a lot to see if you can get in and out without breaking bones.

Unfortunately, that's one of the easier shore dives around here. It requires a long walk to the shore, then timing the surf. Even if you time it correctly, the cobbles underwater are constantly moving. I always told others to take baby steps when entering/exiting Marineland.

Most of the other sites around here require hiking up and down goat trails. The cliffs are mostly 150-200 feet high and the trails can be slippery in spots. I've fallen on my backside more times than I care to remember. Wetsuit booties make lousy hiking boots.

View attachment 536061

View attachment 536062

View attachment 536063

View attachment 536064

Wow, and I thought we had it hard here in the North East.

After reading this thread, i find "Oh; Jed's a millionaire" with my LBTS shore dives here in florida.....

I dived there in double 120s a few times. I'm older and hopefully smarter now. :)
It's still my favorite shore dive, as there is a lot to see if you can get in and out without breaking bones.

That was really cool! Personally, I find the entrance from that rock about a 1/4 mile north of the beach to not be that bad at the right tide level. Lay in that slot... wait for a incoming wave... and kick for your life as the outgoing wave shoots you out to deeper water. Still, coming back in on the "beach" is tricky. I have these neoprene boots with very thick felt soles. They have quite a bit of traction. Felt-soled boots are sometimes used by fly fisherman wading into streams for extra grip on slippery rocks.

Back
Top Bottom