Faber vs Worthington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no opinion, seems to me if Worthington's were better they’d still be in the business of making cylinders.

They still make industrial cylinders, they just didn't find scuba to be profitable. PST is still in business too. thankfully they both are still renewing their special permits.

I have worthington 100s and 85s and I have some Faber 85s (the newer hot dipped galvanized). I personally prefer the worthingtons, especially for single tank diving. They're a little heavier so less weight and their buoyancy doesn't change noticeably. The big thing for me is the Worthys aren't being produced anymore, are very valuable to some of us, and are not losing their value. They will hold their values for years to come. The comment on inferior steel is completely false. I'm assuming that comes from the fact that there is a special bulletin for hydroing worthington tanks. I believe they have to be pre-stretched in order to have an accurate hydro. The negative is that some fire extinguisher hydro places have failed some worthys that shouldn't have failed. I personally am buying as many matched pairs of worthy 85s I can find because I love them.

Forgot to add. If these are the older white 100s from faber they may be the ones that are longer than the worthtingtons and don't have as good buoyancy characteristics. I only buy the hot dipped galvanized fabers. Didn't like the white ones, especially the taller white 100s. I believe those were X7's but can't remember exactly.

the prestretch is because of the zinc galvanization layer. the new galvanized fabers should be prestretched too.

x7 line were all worthingtons.

They still make industrial cylinders, they just didn't find scuba to be profitable. PST is still in business too. thankfully they both are still renewing their special permits.

Thanks, that is what I get for making assumptions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom