GUE Fundamental course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you diving wet in NY state in doubles? As I described earlier, its almost impossible to not be able to swim up a single tank in any wetsuit (even 7mm) from recreational depths ~100ft. If you can swim it up, you don't need a redundant bladder.

I would not advise a single tank below recreational depths.

If you are diving doubles, in a thick wetsuit, that would not be a good idea for more than just the redundant bladder issue.

I don’t dive doubles, yet anyway, and have never exceeded recreational depths. I do eventually want to get into doubles and sidemount. My interest in tech is specifically wanting to get into wreck penetration so my choice for that will likely be sidemount when I eventually get there. I do plan on buying a dry suit, hopefully within the next year, largely to extend my dive season but also because I am getting into public safety diving.

I should also add that I don’t have much of a dog in this fight, and as I’m upgrading my equipment I’m going to equipment that would largely be compatible with GUE. In fact I’m saving for a Halcyon Infinity BP/W setup as we speak. I know it’s not exactly perfectly Hogarthian because of the Cinch system but that is a feature that I most definitely want and what is largely leading me to Halcyon as opposed to others. I also don’t believe that I’d be willing to compromise on that particular system either. As I begin my foray into public safety diving the majority of my equipment will be my own, bought by me so I want a system that can easily accommodate changes between laminate and crushed neoprene dry suits as well as thick wetsuits for up north and thin wetsuits and rash guards for when I go diving in warm water on vacation. I plan on using one primary system for everything so being able to make small changes in fit easily is important to me, as is the ability to quickly doff equipment. The likelihood that I wouldn’t be able to use the cinch system when taking Fundies has also been a turnoff as I prefer to train as I would dive, just as I train as I would fight in my day job.

So I guess what I am largely saying is that I agree with a lot of the GUE equipment choices, if not all of them. The biggest hitch for me is the complete inflexibility on equipment. I don’t even have an opinion really on single vs dual bladder systems. It’s just that I’m willing to concede that for some people’s specific needs it may be logically justifiable to use a system other than GUE’s and be just as correct. This is after all supposed to be largely for fun.

If someone isn’t diving dry, yet wants to have some redundancy in their setup it would seem seem that some of the non GUE/Hogarthian setups are worthy of consideration.

Double AL80s, wet, is still OK for GUE style, as they are quite light compared to steel tanks.

@Lt CHEG pretty sure you can take fundamentals in a cinch system.

Sidemount, public safety, fundamentals, and dual wings all in one post is quite a variety. You are welcome to mix and match if you want but there's really only one set of principals that is actually taught as a system and that's the Fundamentals - T1/C1 -T2/C2 pathway. Many public safety programs have some commonalities but there is no defined system. Sidemount is definitely a CF of working and completely disasterous ideas all swirled into a giant blender of "sidemount"

Sidemount is definitely a CF of working and completely disasterous ideas all swirled into a giant blender of "sidemount"

Now tell us how you really feel. :poke::wink::popcorn:

I should also add that I don’t have much of a dog in this fight, and as I’m upgrading my equipment I’m going to equipment that would largely be compatible with GUE. In fact I’m saving for a Halcyon Infinity BP/W setup as we speak. I know it’s not exactly perfectly Hogarthian because of the Cinch system but that is a feature that I most definitely want and what is largely leading me to Halcyon as opposed to others. I also don’t believe that I’d be willing to compromise on that particular system either. vacation.

<snip>

The likelihood that I wouldn’t be able to use the cinch system when taking Fundies has also been a turnoff as I prefer to train as I would dive, just as I train as I would fight in my day job.

Forget the Cinch system. Get BP/W of your choice and use the harness sliders from Subgravity. I’m using them now. They take the place of the triglides many people use to lock their straps in place. $26 for 2. Heck of a lot cheaper than paying the H tax, although SubGravity Backplate Harness Slider - SubgravityI do love my Halcyon gear. They slide pretty well as long as you have no weight on the belt.

Don’t know if the sliders are GUE compliant. And frankly, I don’t care. Just offering you a cheaper option than the Cinch system.

For someone whose profile has very little experience, I would highly recommend that you do not venture into public safety diving until you have considerable experience and training.

That means body recovery.... of you (PSD is in ****** difficult waters) if you get into way too early. That’s of course, if you even get in, I have no idea why any credible PSD team who know their arse from their elbow would take you on in your current womb like state.

I’ve actually been diving for 20 years. I took a several year hiatus to build my house, start a family, etc and my profile here indicates the amount of dives since I joined this forum a few months ago and got back into diving. I’m no expert by any means but I’m far from a newbie to diving either. Also my public safety diving would be pretty limited in scope and would involve some evidence recovery but not body recovery.

Forget the Cinch system. Get BP/W of your choice and use the harness sliders from Subgravity. I’m using them now. They take the place of the triglides many people use to lock their straps in place. $26 for 2. Heck of a lot cheaper than paying the H tax, although SubGravity Backplate Harness Slider - SubgravityI do love my Halcyon gear. They slide pretty well as long as you have no weight on the belt.

Don’t know if the sliders are GUE compliant. And frankly, I don’t care. Just offering you a cheaper option than the Cinch system.

I will look into that thanks for the tip!

I’ve actually been diving for 20 years. I took a several year hiatus to build my house, start a family, etc and my profile here indicates the amount of dives since I joined this forum a few months ago and got back into diving. I’m no expert by any means but I’m far from a newbie to diving either. Also my public safety diving would be pretty limited in scope and would involve some evidence recovery but not body recovery.
Thank God you’re not at less than 50 dives and wanting to do PSD. I put it bluntly to make the point across for newer divers reading this so they don’t get a positive idea about PSD and that it’s all fun and hunky dory like PADI puts it. I have a very active and serious PSD friend who has done countless body recoveries in all of the worst conditions imaginable and just wanted to shed some light so folks don’t have a false idea of it.

Good luck on your journey back into the sport.

In my class, one gentleman had the cinch system, and it was fine. It is Halcyon which is related to GUE through JJ.

Now tell us how you really feel. :poke::wink::popcorn:
Hey I dive OC SM
plus I SM my CCR bailout
plus I have a SM CCR

But its THE hot new thang and everyone is doing it - with pretty questionable success. Especially when placed side by side with a mature program like GUE-F

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom