How many hobbies do you have, other than diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi folks!

I just picked up a new hobby and find that it's stretching me in terms of time and finances, in light of my other significant hobby, which is of course, diving.

Do you find it's the same for you, when you have to keep both hobbies "happy"? I don't want to give either up!
I've got 2.5 things I do frequently. Scuba, shooting, and aikido (currently on a hiatus from aikido, hence the .5).

I personally find it easy to balance them all. I just pace my purchases accordingly, and thankfully there are no real purchases associated with aikido.

Beside diving I ride motorcycles, shoot guns including competition and bird hunting.

This ugly thing called work gets in the way alot of hobby time. Can't wait to retire and be as busy as Zef

Hi @outofofficebrb and others of course!

Oh boy, seems like a lot of serial hobbyists here. Having only 2 real hobbies makes me an amateur!

Work DOES NOT count as a hobby...

I don't race or anything and am glad I don't, cause I hear it's EXPENSIVE!

My new hobby is learning to play the piano and am about to drop a good penny on a new piano. Big scuba trips are off the table for a few years, although I can still do close-to-home and inexpensive trips to the Caribbean. That Halcyon bpw I was intending to buy...well, that's also off the table too! It's obvious I'm diverting the cash I used to spend on my diving endeavours to piano endeavours LOL. I figure I can play the piano until the day I die but diving, probably only until my body says I can't anymore.

No fair; you have to tell us what the new hobby is!

I don't really have hobbies so much as interests. I used to tend bar and can still make a mean cocktail; I also make liquor infusions to give as gifts. I tool around on the guitar; I know maybe a dozen chords, enough to fake my way through most popular music, and don't really care to try any harder. I do some volunteer work. I used to think I just wasn't the work hard, play hard type; I certainly work hard at my job, but I always just wanted to relax outside of work. Then I fell into diving like it was quicksand. My husband hardly recognizes me; my non-diving friends haven't seen much of me in months. I'm sure I can't help with balancing two or more hobbies; I can't even balance one.

Hi @outofofficebrb and others of course!

Oh boy, seems like a lot of serial hobbyists here. Having only 2 real hobbies makes me an amateur!

Work DOES NOT count as a hobby...

I don't race or anything and am glad I don't, cause I hear it's EXPENSIVE!

My new hobby is learning to play the piano and am about to drop a good penny on a new piano. Big scuba trips are off the table for a few years, although I can still do close-to-home and inexpensive trips to the Caribbean. That Halcyon bpw I was intending to buy...well, that's also off the table too! It's obvious I'm diverting the cash I used to spend on my diving endeavours to piano endeavours LOL. I figure I can play the piano until the day I die but diving, probably only until my body says I can't anymore.

Oh, man...You just cued some bad flashbacks to piano practicing from my younger years. But, as mom said, "you will thank me"...It's true. I played for many years and stopped in my early teens, though I can still remember how to play some songs but I am out of practice reading sheet music. It's a lovely hobby and as you said, one you will have with you until the end of your days. For now, my piano at my mom's house just collects dust..... :) Congrats on finding something that you love!

Oh, man...You just cued some bad flashbacks to piano practicing from my younger years. But, as mom said, "you will thank me"...It's true. I played for many years and stopped in my early teens, though I can still remember how to play some songs but I am out of practice reading sheet music. It's a lovely hobby and as you said, one you will have with you until the end of your days. For now, my piano at my mom's house just collects dust..... :) Congrats on finding something that you love!

I do know a lot of my peers have bad memories of learning the piano. I don't have bad memories but that's because my mom couldn't care less if I did or didn't. Of course I quit (not piano but organ), because there were just too many guys to go out with! What teenage girl doesn't want to spend time at the mall with their new beau all the time? Haha. Anyway, I found my way back to piano and so the new journey begins. I've also been cheating on this forum with the other forum so...yeah my time is split.

motorcycling and competitive pistol shooting , been shooting over 35 years ipsc and ipda..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom