Twinsets to accomodate different wing lift capacities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but just had a quick question/clarification: were you using the standard RK3s or the HD version? I'm asking because I'm considering getting a pair in the standard version and want fins that are neutral-ish in fresh water (a tiny bit positive or negative is fine, but more or less neutral).
If I may, it would seem Johnny used the normal RK3 fins whereas I own the HD version. So it would be best that we both give our own experiences. The HD fins are simply made of a denser material than the RK3 fins. This does not make them any more stronger, only stiffer and slightly heavier. Which make them great for technical diving i.e. Frog kicks; think of them as highly comparable to jet fins. If you try flutter kicking in either of those, you'll tire yourself out out and have the worst cramps

I do not know what kind of diving you do, but the short answer is that if you want fins closer to the neutrally buoyant side, then go for RK3 fins. Not to say that they don't work equally as well for tech diving; it really boils down to what kind of diving you do and what you are looking for. I hope that helps.

Thanks for your response. I drysuit dive locally, but only recreational profiles with a single tank, and I frog kick for nearly all of my finning. I currently use Mares Avanti Quattros and like them, but want to give a Jet fin style a try. But I don't want the weight of a Jet fin, or the notoriously ill-fitting foot pocket. Thus the RK3. I think the standard version will suit me fine.

Once again, thanks.

Thanks for your response. I drysuit dive locally, but only recreational profiles with a single tank, and I frog kick for nearly all of my finning. I currently use Mares Avanti Quattros and like them, but want to give a Jet fin style a try. But I don't want the weight of a Jet fin, or the notoriously ill-fitting foot pocket. Thus the RK3. I think the standard version will suit me fine.

Once again, thanks.
Superb fin for you then. Good luck and safe diving!

Hello all

I am at a bit of a crossroads here. I own two single bladder wings; one has 18kg lift and the other has 27kg lift. A Halcyon and a Dive Rite respectively. Both were bought second hand for a good price so as of yet, I still don't have my own twinset.

I would very much like to buy a 15L steel twinset. But while this would be perfectly adequate for a 27kg wing lift and then some, would it perhaps be overbearing on the 18kg wing? Would it maybe be in my best interest to rather buy a 12L twinset?

I know that other considerations factor in so I will save you the trouble of asking:

1. I dive with a 5mm Scubapro wetsuit (a drysuit will not factor into any of my decision making for at least the next 2 years)
2. I dive with Apeks RK3HD fins. Weighing in at about 3kg; so they are negatively buoyant.
3. I own both an aluminium and SS backplate (I can use whichever to accommodate the best combination).
4. I personally weigh around 78kg and maintaining.
5. While I don't own one yet, please put an AL80 deco bottle into consideration as well.

While I, like most aspiring technical divers, hope to own both a 12L and 15L twinset in good time, which would be the more feasible all rounder to start off with?

Thank you

I dive double steel HP120s (15L). I have a Dive Rite Classic wing. I love the wing.

I had a set of double steel HP100s (12L). Once I got a second set of 120s, I sold the 100s.

There is no time I have ever wanted to or can think of where I would prefer to use double 100s over the 120s.

The 120s are the same width as the 100s, just 4" or so taller. Why would I ever want to dive with less gas when I can have 20% more gas and be just as streamlined? The 120s and 100s are the same buoyancy when empty, as well. At least, mine are. So, I use the same weighting for either size. So, again, why would I ever choose the 100s over the 120s?

My point being: I was in your situation. I would/did choose to just keep the Dive Rite wing and use it at all times. And get a 2nd set of 15L, rather than have 1 set of 15L and 1 set of 12L.

I also do have a Dive Rite Rec wing (45#/20kg). I use it when I'm diving with doubles and no deco bottles. But, really, that is a luxury and I would be perfectly fine having only the DR Classic wing.

Sell the Halcyon, but a 2 sets of 15L and go dive.

The standard RK3's suck. They're way too floppy if you have any sort of leg strength. Almost felt like I was wearing a set of Force Fins. Total lack of power. Get the HD's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom