Faber vs Worthington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spc751

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the opportunity to buy two Worthington steel hp 100 tanks. However, by the time every thing is finished I will have spent enough money to buy two new Faber steel 100 tanks. Are Worthington tanks so good that it is worth spending so much money on used tanks?

AFAIK Worthington tanks use an inferior grade of steel. Thats why they have to make the tank walls thicker which makes the tank a few Kilos heavier to make up for it.
Some people like heavy tanks - I don't, that's why I love my Fabers.

Michael

I have the opportunity to buy two Worthington steel hp 100 tanks. However, by the time every thing is finished I will have spent enough money to buy two new Faber steel 100 tanks. Are Worthington tanks so good that it is worth spending so much money on used tanks?

I have 2 X7-100’s and really like the buoyancy characteristics and weight distribution of the tank, as well as the height. Excellent for cold water diving. I’m shorter and also own 2 newer Fabers in the same size and it is easier to carry when I need to given the shorter height. The Fabers feel different on me throughout the dive and I like the X7’s more. If you can buy the X7-100’s, I would go for it. They are quite sought after now. I suppose if you don’t like them, you can always sell them and get Fabers easily and will probably not find it difficult to find a buyer.

I have both and I love them both. I have not had any problems with either one; I've had them for years.

If it was me, I would buy new ones since you state that the cost is about the same.

I look at it, that tanks, are like cars. Some people like Ford, some like Chevy and some like Foreign. I also have both Faber and Worthington, and can't say one is better than the other. They both carry air and the both have served well. As for buoyancy characteristics, weight is weight. If it's not in the tank, then it is on your waist or BC or plate. It will take " X" amount of negative bouyancy to get you under no matter where it is on your person, dependent upon your suit or whatever. I would also buy the new tanks based on your costs analysis.

I have worthington 100s and 85s and I have some Faber 85s (the newer hot dipped galvanized). I personally prefer the worthingtons, especially for single tank diving. They're a little heavier so less weight and their buoyancy doesn't change noticeably. The big thing for me is the Worthys aren't being produced anymore, are very valuable to some of us, and are not losing their value. They will hold their values for years to come. The comment on inferior steel is completely false. I'm assuming that comes from the fact that there is a special bulletin for hydroing worthington tanks. I believe they have to be pre-stretched in order to have an accurate hydro. The negative is that some fire extinguisher hydro places have failed some worthys that shouldn't have failed. I personally am buying as many matched pairs of worthy 85s I can find because I love them.

Forgot to add. If these are the older white 100s from faber they may be the ones that are longer than the worthtingtons and don't have as good buoyancy characteristics. I only buy the hot dipped galvanized fabers. Didn't like the white ones, especially the taller white 100s. I believe those were X7's but can't remember exactly.

Inferior steel since more of it is needed to contain the gas in the tank.
Softer steel, able to handle less load streaching, with a lower shearing strength are all signs for me of an inferior steel.
An inferior steel, does not mean an inferior tank, it just means that the tank needs more steel (weight) to meet the requirements.

Michael

I have no opinion, seems to me if Worthington's were better they’d still be in the business of making cylinders.

When it comes to HP series the Faber and Worthington are the same both buoyancy wise and dry land weight wise. Personally I would use the fact that the used cylinders are similar in price to the new to get them to drop the price.

Back
Top Bottom