It’s time to upgrade my fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im currently using my first pair of fins the atomic aquatic splits. I want something with more power to use in strong currents. When diving with charters and buddies I feel slower then everyone. What works for you? What should I stay away from? What fin should I buy next?

Im very happy with Mares Avanti Quatros. For lots of power, (and lots of leg) any of the jet fins will move lots of water. For rec diving, I prefer the Quatros.

Good luck,
Jay

I'm currently using my first pair of fins the atomic aquatic splits

Good lord and you're still alive!

Some strips of gaffer tape will fix these splits :rofl3:

All joking aside, I'm a +1 on Mares Quattro fins and probably used them for most of my diving until I discovered Hollis F2s.

My daughter bought them first to replace her really old fins, but as you may find out later, when you change dive boots sometimes the fins don't fit anymore.

Go to your LDS and find out if they will lend you what they sell and try them out, not in a pool, in the sea under conditions that you normally dive it, or borrow some from friends to try.

I'd sell you my Mares fins if you lived closer as I have a brand new pair of yellow Mares Excel Plus only used once when I bought my new drysuit 3 years ago.

When you do find new fins that you like, make sure they have spring straps too, you'll wonder why you put up with all that flaffing around with clips n stuff.

I will second the Mares Avanti Quattro +. Good for frog kicks and propels in current which is the kick I usually use unless super strong current is present. Okay for flutter/scissor kick if you have strong leg muscles. Can do reverse frog with it and helicopter turns okay.

Deep 6 Eddy fins. If you're really going to be spending a lot of time in strong currents, though, free dive fins will give you the most bang for your buck, at the expense of maneuverability.

I tried several fins over the years, including Mares Avanti Quattro (my son has them now), until I settled on Dive Rite XTs

Mares Avanti Quattro is a popular fin and for good reasons.

I would also recommend you take a look at the Cressi Reaction fins. I have been diving them for a bunch of years and they work great. I would buy another set in a heart beat if I needed new fins. This past winter I put bungee type straps on them and the first thing I did after my first dive with them was kick myself for not doing it sooner.

Another fin that used to be popular, at least where I live, is the Mares Volo, I have a used set that I purchased from a fellow club member a couple of years ago but they are too big. I kept them for when I started diving a drysuit to use with rock boots but my drysuit boots (aqualung fusion) are low enough profile that I did not need to change fins and continue to use my Cressi Reactions year round.

Had a pair of atomic splits - loved the ease of finning but couldn't backfin without a good bit of effort. Got a pair of DR XTs - loved them but your legs will get way more of a workout - especially flutter kick. I almost exclusively frog kick so not much of a change. Any of the paddle fins will get you the power your after. I went to the XTs since they are less negative then some of the others (Jets especially). I'm foot heavy so that drove my decision plus I got a great deal on a blem set from DiveRite. Quattro was also on my list as were the D6 Eddy

I actually went from Atomic splits to the Deep6 Eddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom