How do I ID different types of seawing nova?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Doty

Contributor
Reaction score
My legs aren't what they used to be. I've been using old jets and my daughter is flat out running away from me in her twin jet splits. Our last dive I felt like I was sprinting after her none stop. So I think I need to upgrade a bit.

I'm looking at a pair of used nova's. How do I tell if they are the old style that broke easy, the regular nova that doesn't break as easy, or the gorillas? They look almost new, $75.

They are black, they're open heel with bungie straps. No matter which pictures I look at, they all look identical to me. There aren't any markings besides scubapro and seawing nova. I'm at a loss!

What color? Top of the fin hinge is the first giveaway. Smooth is gen II, three ridges is gen I. The bottom will always have the ridges.

Thanks!
They're all black, smooth on top of the hinge so they shouldn't be the problem design. Is there a way to tell if they're the gorilla or the regular?

Thanks!
They're all black, smooth on top of the hinge so they shouldn't be the problem design. Is there a way to tell if they're the gorilla or the regular?
Gorillas used to have a gray finger pull tab on the bungee but these can be changed so it’s not foolproof, at one point they made gorillas in gray or orange, with orange being an option now for everyone I’m not sure if they are still the stiffer gorilla. I’ve had black gorillas and broke those too (I think all gorilla are the flat top second type) the Nova is a good all around fin but you may want to look at the GO sport, they are more like a jet than the Nova is and will feel more natural to your kick, the Nova will feel odd at first but you get used to the delayed push.

I picked them up today, grey tabs and not super floppy, I'm calling them gorillas until I'm told different :)

I took them to the pool this afternoon. Definitely lighter than my jets and they're positive in fresh water so I'll be checking weight once im in the ocean, hopefully in the next few weeks. Ive been chasing neutral and haven't quite gotten there yet anyway.

I should have brought my jets and the twins in to compare, but I seemed to be cruising fairly well with them doing flutter. Im still trying to learn frog, but they do seem stiff enough to work with. Big and dorky looking, but im short and dorky so it should be just fine. Booties slip in and out south a fraction of the effort. Im usually hanging on ther ladder cussing trying to get my fins off. I quit wearing my boots at all a few dives ago, my vibrams work so much better with them.

I got them for $70 after tax, I should be able to Ebay them if I don't like them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom