Reflecting on Limes in Beers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been told that the reason IPAs are so hop-forward is that beer made in England and shipped via sailing ships to India often spoiled on its trip around the tip of Africa, but loading it up with hops tended to preserve it.

The hops and the higher alcohol content which required higher sugar content do the extra hops also balanced the residual sugar. Same the Russian imperial stouts. Had to survive shipping to Russia over land

Good read y'all,

An inlaw is a true retired brewmaster who worked at multiple major breweries and finished at a big American beer company. In his travels he was sharing drinks with a new salesman and a seasoned brewer from Europe. As the story goes, when the beer is served the salesman proceeds to "salt" the beer. The thick accented European brewer stops him in his tracks and says, "If this beer were to have salt in it, I would have added it."

For this, I enjoy trying different tastes and flavors; there are many unique creations available just down the road now. At the same time a cold beer on a hot day or a Michaela hit the spot in just the right way. As the inlaw says, it's your drink, enjoy it how you like.

Speaking of beer - the brewery in town isn't too bad - though they need AC as it is hot as hades in there.

Also their lionfish pizza is freaking awesome!!!!

Mexicans who drink Corona tend to scoff at the idea that the beverage needs a lime, regarding the fruit’s addition as a gimmick for los turistas.

I've personally NEVER seen a Mexican drinking a Corona... I see most drinking Sol. Years ago I asked a Mexican why I never see Mexicans drinking Corona and he said, "Mexicans drink Sol... Gringos drink Corona" (or something like that). Made sense to me because I think Corona is absolute garbage compared to Sol. If I imagine what piss may taste like, I'd bet it isn't far off from Corona which explains the marketing (and the need) to stuff a lime in it.

Lime shoved in a beer by Gringos is nothing... Who ever got the crazy idea of mixing beer with tomato juice? Canadians and Mexicans! If you want to taste one of the most disgusting things on earth look no further than that Clamato/Bud light thing in a can.

Speaking of beer - the brewery in town isn't too bad - though they need AC as it is hot as hades in there.

Also their lionfish pizza is freaking awesome!!!!

Agree. When we were there last December the lionfish version was not available, but the pizza otherwise was excellent. The beer was also pretty good, and in speaking with the owner I found out he was learning and getting better and better. The brew system is very small and it appeared to be a challenge to brew in the small and very hot space. I would not want to be in the place during the boil.

Man Laws (Men of the Square Table) states, No fruit in beer. 2:04 in the video

Funny commercials, terrible beer. If Miller Lite is all that's left at a party, it's time to go home.

DSFDF and YMMV, of course.

In the early 80's we used to go to Matamoros and we could get a 20 bottle case of the 325ml bottles for $6. You could save another $2 if you had the bottles to exchange. I don't remember using limes back then but later on I did learn to enjoy Corona's with lime. I don't go out of my way to drink Corona's but I would not turn away a free one.

I think beer popularity in Mexico might be regional. Many of the Mexicans around here buy Modelo. In Cozumel I see mostly Sol but Ticate Lite seems to be pretty popular.

I like all kinds of beer but right now I am drinking a Miller Lite because it taste great and is less filling.

Back
Top Bottom