Why is everyone out of stock on coated 1lb weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A8...

Contact Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catharines Ontario...Matt carries one pound Sea Pearls shot packs...

They're cheap...and you can take advantage of your ''higher'' US dollar...

Just my opinion but soft weights are better than hard weights...easier on your BCD...will ''self mould to shape...less skin contact with raw lead...especially important with kids...quick and easy rinsing/drying...

Best...

Warren...

Also they wont break your foot if you accidentally drop it

That sounds like an equipment solution to a skill issue.

-Z

I dont see how you need a particular skill to avoid your weights slipping from your hand , more of a dumb luck kind of thing in my opinion.

I dont see how you need a particular skill to avoid your weights slipping from your hand , more of a dumb luck kind of thing in my opinion.

If one needs to be concerned about the type of lead they are using because they may drop it on their foot then by all means they need to start thinking about holding on to that lead from a skill standpoint, why chance whether one might break their foot to dumb luck/chance?

Let me ask the question a different way: How many times have you let your 1st stage fall to the ground? How many times have you dropped a cylinder? If the answers to these questions are zero/never, then ask yourself why that is and apply the same mentality to how you handle lead whether hard or soft.

-Z

If one needs to be concerned about the type of lead they are using because they may drop it on their foot then by all means they need to start thinking about holding on to that lead from a skill standpoint, why chance whether one might break their foot to dumb luck/chance?

Let me ask the question a different way: How many times have you let your 1st stage fall to the ground? How many times have you dropped a cylinder? If the answers to these questions are zero/never, then ask yourself why that is and apply the same mentality to how you handle lead whether hard or soft.

-Z

Iv'e seen a very experienced diver on the boat with me in perfectly calm conditions wanting to shift around some trim weights only for a wave to come out of no where, making him stumble and loos grip on the weight. it landed on someone's foot. thankfully it was buckshot so nothing happened , if that would have been a solid block it would be a broken toe easily.

Iv'e also seen divers loose grip because they are wearing thick gloves.

It isn't really a skill you can practice, standing in your living room holding a block of lead.

I'm no saint, i did drop a cylinder twice, it was a silly mistake and i learned better as i got more experienced but it happened nonetheless.
My regulator was smashed onto the floor after i thought its a good idea to hang it by the 1st stage and hang it in a not so secure way.

All im saying is with all the benefits the buckshot soft weights give you this is another one that helps , just in case.

I have a set of these pockets and I while I really like DGX and all the folks that I have interacted with that work there I would caution anyone thinking about purchasing these pockets...they only close by velcro flat. Eventually the velcro will wear and the flap my pop open dumping the weight. There are less expensive and more expensive options out there that have velcro and clips to keep the flap shut. These pockets would be outstanding if they had those clips...so my recommendation is to spend more or less for a pocket that you are more sure will stay shut and retain the weight you put inside of it.

-Z

Hey Zef...

Never had a problem with Velcro wearing...sometimes the ''hook'' side will get plugged up with fuzz/pet hair...etc...a small brass bristled brush will clean the hooks in a couple minutes and not damage the hooks...

When the pads are clean...they will hold...especially when we're only talking about one pound...

It's also unlikely that you'd want to dump one pound...

W...

brass bristle brush.jpg

Reactions: Zef
Another Canadian option. Amazon.ca carries them. Shipping will be higher but it’s CAD$0.75=USD$1.

You certain about this conversion rate?

As the title says I want to pick up a few 1lb coated weights to use in trimming out. I found one source with ugly yellow ones. Are black coated weights that hot of an item that stores can’t keep them in stock? Does anyone have a good source?

You can buy Ever-Dip and coat your own weights if you can’t find them somewhere. Ever-Dip can be found in most hardware stores. It is what people use to put a rubber coating on tools.

Reactions: Zef
@aviator8 Did you find a solution?

For what it’s worth........ How about adding a strap around the tank as high as you can get it. Attached to that strap would be your weight or some kind of small weight pocket which would be easy to sew up. To keep the strap from slipping, I’d suggest putting dots of silicon caulk (or silimlar) on the inside of the belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom