Prestige 2nd stage questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasmineNeedsGills

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,
Wonder if anyone can shed some light on the differences of the Rover and Prestige 2nd stages...I want to pick up a 15x based regulator for summer UK diving and warm-water overseas use, but here both the Rover and Prestige 2nd stages are offered, but not sure what the differences are? Also on Mares website there's no mention of the prestige anymore, so was wondering if it's been discontinued?

It basically the same thing, except with a change of face plate/Purge cover. The prestige cover has a "button" style purge. It really isnt a actually button but it has a push button style purge cover, whereas the Rover you press down on the whole cover. Minor difference. I've seen the Prestige cover (not the plastic part) over many years break in places. But I'm talking many years of heavy use. Internally they are essentially the same and the share the same parts kits so there is no fear that even if its discontinued the dive shops wont run out of parts.

Same reg with the rover one being more marketed to dive centers and prestige to the normal consumer.
On the inside they are indestructible and easy to service.
They are also great for deep diving, as they breathe just as bad on the surface as at 50 meters.

I would be as or more concerned about the Rover cover breaking. The web of plastic between the holes tends to break after a handful of years of use. The Proton octo was a similar design and often suffered form this fate....when it happens it tends to be after parts for this design are no longer made and/or in very scarce supply....the effort and cost at that point to get a replacement part begins to approximate the ease of just buying something else.

I like Mares regulators and dive a pair of old MR22 Abyss setups on a regular basis....but for the above reason I would not recommend the Rover unless it was a screaming deal and the person acknowledged the issue.

-Z

Thanks also, useful to know! Nice of Mares to market literally the same kit with a different sticker on it as if it's something totally different. Class move. That said, simple and indestructible as my thing so I'll play ball :)

Thanks also, useful to know! Nice of Mares to market literally the same kit with a different sticker on it as if it's something totally different. Class move. That said, simple and indestructible as my thing so I'll play ball :)

That is not something unique to Mares. If you look at the parts diagrams for other companies regulators, particularly Aqualung, you will see that the internals are the same its just the external shell that is the big difference. Almost all the critical internal components match up across their entire spectrum of diaphram 1st stages. For instance, to name a few parts: the HP seat, crown, main spring, and diaphram used on the Legend Lux, their top tier regulator is the exact same part numbers for the the Titan, the COR, the Micron, the Conshelf, etc. You pay extra for form and finish.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom