Older Mares V32 or Newer Scubapro MK11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RikDog7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
I am brand new to forums so if I have bad etiquette I apologize.
Let me state first and foremost, I value my life and safety is always first. I will not use questionable equipment.
Having said that, financially speaking I would really like to only maintain one regulator setup.
I bought a used Mares V32 with the proton ice 2nd stage as part of a package deal from someone getting out of diving. They reported it as having minimal dives and always stored in the closet. All of the other gear supported the statement of minimal use. There are no signs of external deterioration. I have tested it in my pool with the reg at about 3.5 feet with no issues.
I can't decide if I want to service it and put it in use as my primary reg setup or continue using my newer Scubapro Mk11 with S360 2nd.
I have been using the Scubapro MK11 setup for a little over two years with no issues. I bought it from my LDS out of the rental inventory at the end of the season in 2017. It has scuff marks on the 2nd stage cover so it has seen some use. So you may wonder why I would change. I just got back into diving after a long time off. I have less than 50 dives so I am not at the point to really know the difference in performance and feel of regulators. I have started diving at Lake Pleasant in Arizona at depths of 50-99 and water temps routinely in the 57-62F range. I plan on diving Southern California eventually and am trying to get plenty of colder water experience and want a reliable rig.
The Scubapro is only about 3-4 years old and the Mares is about 15 years old. So normal logic would tell me to keep the Scubapro.
I have been out of diving for 15 years so I don't know if the production process has changed, is older good gear better than cheaper new gear?
Is the Mares V32 even a better rig? I have read different reviews saying maybe it isn't, but I have trusted Mares in the past.
They are both diaphragm 1st stages. The Mares Proton Ice is metal and the Scubapro S360 is plastic.
The Scubapro was not a very expensive setup to start with.
And yes, after I decide, one of them will be for sale so I can feed this revived addiction...
Thoughts?

Stick with Scubapro!!! I also recommend to stick with one brand to make it easier for you in terms of service so that you don't have to hunt around for who can service both brands or having to deal with two different dealers to service each brand. Make it simpler for you and work with one brand.

Stick with Scubapro!!! I also recommend to stick with one brand to make it easier for you in terms of service so that you don't have to hunt around for who can service both brands or having to deal with two different dealers to service each brand. Make it simpler for you and work with one brand.

Thanks for the input, and I totally agree on sticking with one brand.

I would stick with the Scubapro unless you are doing cold water diving, then the Mares should be better. Regulators are a mature technology and I am sure the Proton Ice would breath similar to a newer Mares. BTW, your Scubapro S360 can be upgraded to a S560 or even an S-600 if you want. There are a few divers that are Mares experts, hopefully they will chime in.

I can’t point to any sources for you, but I seem to recall having heard/read a few opinions that found the Proton Ice performance to be disappointing. At the least, I would not dive it in cold water without adding the 1st stage cold water kit, which it probably does not already have.

I don’t know Scubapro to provide an opinion on comparison.

BTW, your Scubapro S360 can be upgraded to a S560 or even an S-600 if you want.
Thanks for the info, I had no idea I could do that. I will definitely explore that option.

Thank you for the replies, everything that was said was taken into consideration and I just posted the Mares set on Ebay. I talked to my local dive shop and he said he would help me look into the upgrade of my Scubapro S360 if that is what I want to do at a later date. I am getting close to the 50 dive mark and I am finally noticing the difference in effort between my regulators. The newer Scubapro I have breathes way easier than my really old Cressi FX.
So thanks again folks, and happy diving!

BTW, your Scubapro S360 can be upgraded to a S560 or even an S-600 if you want.

ams511, I have been trying to do research on this upgrade and found schematics for the S560 and S600, but can't find anything on the S360. Is it as simple as buying the higher end model parts and replacing them during service? I called my LDS and he said to bring it in and we would look into it. I tried searching the forums and only found where you had mentioned it to someone else a few years ago. Any help would be appreciated.
I love to tinker with things and would love to have an upgraded reg under the hood of the S360 faceplate.
RikDog7

ams511, I have been trying to do research on this upgrade and found schematics for the S560 and S600, but can't find anything on the S360. Is it as simple as buying the higher end model parts and replacing them during service? I called my LDS and he said to bring it in and we would look into it. I tried searching the forums and only found where you had mentioned it to someone else a few years ago. Any help would be appreciated.
I love to tinker with things and would love to have an upgraded reg under the hood of the S360 faceplate.
RikDog7

I have lost some respect for Scubapro over the past several years. They are becoming like Aqualung, selling a confusing array of regulators (Look how many Legend versions they market). Here is my understanding of the current Scubapro product line. The S360 is essentially the same as the old S550. The S560 is the same as an older model S-600 (with the plastic air barrel), the S600 is the same as the S560 replacing the plastic with a metal air barrel. Regulators are a mature technology so most improvements are minor (or only cosmetic).

To upgrade a S360 to a 560 you are going to need to add the knob and its related components. Look at a S600 schematic for details. I am not sure of the cost of the components or if it will give you a noticeable increase in performance. I believe @rsingler is a SP tech and maybe he can add some more details.

The S360 is basically an S560 without a user-adjustable poppet spring tension. You could convert a 360 to a 560, but I'll need to check schematics.
If it were me, I wouldn't spend the money on those particular upgrade parts. You need to ask yourself, how often do I change my inhalation resistance? Maybe screw it in walking into the surf, then full out for the rest of the dive. Just maybe you might want to screw it in a little if air density made the venturi action too forceful on a really deep dive. But if you're diving that deep that often, I'd get a slightly more robust reg anyway (G260).

IMHO, the S360 is a great reg that, if properly tuned, breathes no differently than most 560's, 600's or 620's. The extra knob of the 560 is a nice to have, but not commonly useful.

More important, just like the S560, S600 and S620, the S360 already has the user-adjustable VIVA vane, which is the better adjustment for preventing inadvertent freeflow before a dive anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom