Need new place to stay in Coz- input wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for El Cantil, if it fits your budget. We found our little room on the top floor expensive for what we got, and the balcony space limited for drying our gear, but anyone sharing one of their suites with friends should be happy. There was a very decent included breakfast and several ops will pick up from their pier.

The Occidental May remind you of a Sandals, but I’ve not stayed at one...the Occidental has gorgeous grounds, nice workers, two pools, one on the beach and a lovely beach to hang on. The AI is pretty good and includes all alcohol. Diving with on site will run about $40 a tank and Nitrox is free! Nice rooms, plenty of AC and the beds are comfy. The best part is the week prior to Xmas it runs $1200 for 8 nights for the wife and I....cheap enough to cab into town to enjoy local dining if wanted...

There are plenty of others to consider as well.
+1 for Occidental

Cozumel Palace is swirling the drain fast.
I stayed their last March for 8 nights and I was very disappointed in the place. The food SUCKS!!! I am by no means a "foodie" either. They have several different restaurant themes and none of them were any good. Honestly, by the 6th day I could not eat at any of the restaurants anymore.
The overall condition of the hotel is in a "deferred maintenance" mode. There is mold in the rooms (balconies, bathrooms, jacuzzi) as well as by the pools. Cracked tiles in the hallways are everywhere. The place needs paining too. The elevators literally have white bathroom caulking.
On a positive note, the service is outstanding! The only exception is the front desk. They have the personality and efficiency of the folks at TSA.

I used 3P's when I stayed at Coz palace so I cannot opine on their Dive Op. (Aqua Safari). I will say that I noticed very few divers being picked-up or dropped off by AS at the Coz Palace pier. I did see a lot of other Dive Ops doing pickups though.

I stayed their last March for 8 nights and I was very disappointed in the place. The food SUCKS!!! I am by no means a "foodie" either. They have several different restaurant themes and none of them were any good. Honestly, by the 6th day I could not eat at any of the restaurants anymore.

The overall condition of the hotel is in a "deferred maintenance" mode. There is mold in the rooms (balconies, bathrooms, jacuzzi) as well as by the pools. Cracked tiles in the hallways are everywhere. The place needs paining too. The elevators literally have white bathroom caulking.

On a positive note, the service is outstanding! The only exception is the front desk. They have the personality and efficiency of the folks at TSA.

I used 3P's when I stayed at Coz palace so I cannot opine on their Dive Op. (Aqua Safari). I will say that I noticed very few divers being picked-up or dropped off by AS at the Coz Palace pier. I did see a lot of other Dive Ops doing pickups though.

LMAO – you win the internet today. Glad to read your review, I had often considered staying there. Glad I stuck with Casa Del Mar or private condo.

I stay at El Cantil every time I go to Cozumel and plan to buy a condo there to retire soon. The condo's are really nice and walking distance to town. They no longer offer breakfast though. We usually search for a two bedroom, but often get a 3 or 4 bedroom for the price of a 2 bedroom. Most dive operators will pick up there.

The overall condition of the hotel is in a "deferred maintenance" mode.

I have an extreme distaste for the Cozumel Palace and I've never even stayed there. My distaste comes from the fact that Palace Resorts purchased the old Plaza Las Glorias, turned it into an AI concept, stuck a funky 2 person jetted tub in the middle of every room and concluded they could charge 5x per night what the old PLG cost! I didn't get it when it it was new and I don't get it now. There are people who rave about that place here and on TA. By AI standards it sucked when it opened compared to AI's at other destinations and it appears based on GameChanger's post that Palace Resorts is entering that territory with this property that it can still thrive on TA reviews for a few more years with no need to address maintenance issues, food issues, etc.

For those who have $ to burn, by all means help yourselves to the Palace that doesn't even have a beach. Being that close to town, who would even want an AI option when there are SO MANY fantastic bars/restaurants to enjoy that serve the finest food on the island. Even if I dined at the most expensive restaurants the island had to offer 3 meals a day and drank the best of the best I'd come no where near the AI cost of an AI Coz Palace stay.

I agree that villa Aldora is very nice, however we stay 2 doors down at condumel for about half price and walk to villa in the morning to get on the dive boat. Condumel is about 10 condos on the beach. It’s dated but clean and convenient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom