Dive report Newport/Jamestown RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT-Rich

Contributor
Reaction score
Went diving yesterday. First dive was at Green Bridge in Newport with Sabrina and Ross.

I hadn’t followed this route in awhile. We didn’t run into much in the way of big fish, a few decent sized tautaug. The bottom was mostly gravel with boulders until you to eastern most end of the site and then you hit sandy bottom. Max depth was about 30’, most of the dive was around 20-25’. I missed the channel entrance on the way in, so we went out the long way. 61 minutes.

Ross made ceviche out of tautaug that he and Sabrina had hunted on Saturday. We picnicked on the side of the road. Sabrina brought a little plastic table. Weirdly civilized for some that normally eats the second half of a subway sandwich leaning against the trunk of his car.

Our second dive was a night dive at the Sandy beach cove. This was the first night dive for both. We can across a lot of flounder, almost stacked on one another. I swam into a school of squid (1”) that were hanging in the water on the west side of the cove. They were spaced out about a foot apart. There was also a large sea-robin, one of my favorite creepy fish. Swimming in on the surface, we turned off our lights and watched the comb jellies light up the water as we kicked through them. Standing in the shallows, we were swarmed by shiners attracted to our lights.

I didn’t get to bed until 1:00, I needed a nap or two on the drive home.

Attachments

• B2406ABE-E1B5-46EC-A757-3498DA1B6CC4.png
    B2406ABE-E1B5-46EC-A757-3498DA1B6CC4.png
    523.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 6926DF85-6B7B-4474-A3D7-0DE52018A3F2.png
    6926DF85-6B7B-4474-A3D7-0DE52018A3F2.png
    524.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 17D7481E-963A-4C97-BAFD-CEFEF67A5867.jpeg
    17D7481E-963A-4C97-BAFD-CEFEF67A5867.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 163
A little short on details Rich, water temp, vis, surge, low or high tide? Still napping?

Oh, for Christ sake, it was wet. Water was in the mid-upper 60s. Vis was 10’ both dives. It stayed wet until it changed to dry. Seas were calm, but you could feel the swell at 30’. Depth you feel the swell is determined by the period of swell rather than wave height. I would the wave period was 70-80’. In other words, we would ha been able to feel the surge to around 35-40’. The weather changed after we left. I will assume the conditions changed since yesterday....

Thanks Rich data is always good.

Back
Top Bottom