Master Scuba Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This seems to be identical to the SSI Master diver - 50 dives, 4 specialties of your choice, Stress & Rescue. SSI requires a current CPR cert to complete the Stress & Rescue, I seem to recall.
PADI requires 5 specialty courses plus rescue. SSI 4 specialty courses and rescue.

Another question: of the specialty courses that PADI counts toward master diver, do the distinctive specialty courses count? (Like "zombie apocalypse diver" of "sunglass hunter diver")

Another question: of the specialty courses that PADI counts toward master diver, do the distinctive specialty courses count? (Like "zombie apocalypse diver" of "sunglass hunter diver")
I believe yes they do. That is my only beef with the PADI MSD system. The 5 specialties should IMO be courses such as NAV, S&R, Night maybe, Deep, Wreck maybe---courses that improve your actual diving and/or safety. The PADI MSD may include courses that don't even require any dives, though it can also mean you do way more that the 8 required for NAUI's MSD.

PADI requires 5 specialty courses plus rescue. SSI 4 specialty courses and rescue.
SSI requires 4 specialty courses, Stress and Rescue PLUS CPR. We normally have our Master Diver Candidates take the full DAN course that includes, CPR, BLS and AED.

If I remember correctly, SSI allows 2 of the specialties to be from a different agency whereas PADI requires all 5 to be from their own. What about the Rescue course, can that one be used across agencies for the Master rating?

If I remember correctly, SSI allows 2 of the specialties to be from a different agency whereas PADI requires all 5 to be from their own. What about the Rescue course, can that one be used across agencies for the Master rating?
PADI will accept comparable Rescue and AOW certs.

Yes. rescue cert from another agency is acceptable.

From the PADI Instructor Manual:
You may accept divers with certifcations through other training organizations into a PADI course using this general guideline, and after conducting a knowledge and skill preassessment.

Qualifying Certifcation Description:
1. PADI Scuba Diver — proof of an entry-level scuba certifcation with a minimum of two open water training dives.
2. PADI Open Water Diver — proof of an entry-level scuba certifcation with a minimum of four open water training dives.
3. PADI Adventure Diver — proof of certifcation beyond entry-level (at least two certifcations total).
4. PADI Advanced Open Water Diver — proof of certifcation beyond entry-level (at least two certifcations total); proof of 20 or more logged dives; documented experience in deep diving and underwater navigation.
5. PADI Rescue Diver — proof of certifcation in diving rescue.
6. EFR Primary Care — proof of CPR training within the last 24 months.
7. EFR Secondary Care — proof of frst aid training within the last 24 months.

-Z

Yes. rescue cert from another agency is acceptable.

From the PADI Instructor Manual:
You may accept divers with certifcations through other training organizations into a PADI course using this general guideline, and after conducting a knowledge and skill preassessment.

Qualifying Certifcation Description:
1. PADI Scuba Diver — proof of an entry-level scuba certifcation with a minimum of two open water training dives.
2. PADI Open Water Diver — proof of an entry-level scuba certifcation with a minimum of four open water training dives.
3. PADI Adventure Diver — proof of certifcation beyond entry-level (at least two certifcations total).
4. PADI Advanced Open Water Diver — proof of certifcation beyond entry-level (at least two certifcations total); proof of 20 or more logged dives; documented experience in deep diving and underwater navigation.
5. PADI Rescue Diver — proof of certifcation in diving rescue.
6. EFR Primary Care — proof of CPR training within the last 24 months.
7. EFR Secondary Care — proof of frst aid training within the last 24 months.

-Z
A small point of clarification - PADI MSD is not a course, it is a recognition, so course prerequisites do not apply. There is no additional content.
But if you check the MSD application form it is still clear where other agency courses are accepted.

Reactions: Zef
From SSI Standards Manual:
Complete Diver Stress and Rescue or its equivalent and four (4) additional SSI Specialty programs. Only two (2)
specialties from another recognized certification agency may be credited toward the Master Diver rating. All non-SSI
certifications must be entered into ODiN by the SSI Dive Center/Resort for the student to receive credit.
Log 50 open water dives. The number of dives must be updated in the student's MySSI profile in ODiN.

Please make sure your selected five specialty courses(PADI) have anything to do with diving.
The five that I had chosen: Deep, Drift, Multi-level, Nitrox and finally Search & Recovery. The rating of MSD was FREE then.

Back
Top Bottom