Little Cayman - LCBR - October 11-18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DreadnoughtNH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all! Finally made my mind up on how to celebrate my 40th birthday submerged and will be spending it at LCBR. Anyone else from the forum going to be around during this time? Anything I shouldn't miss / should miss / tips re: the resort, island, and dive ops?

Nice choice!

What kind of package did you take? If you took one with drinks included you will get up to 3 non-alcoholic or alcoholic (house brand) drinks per day. They give you a card to present at the bar when you order drinks.

The package includes a lot of stuff, but be aware that anything you buy a la carte at the resort will have a 15% service charge automatically added, even a coke.

If you enjoy alcoholic beverages on vacation, another option is to pick up a bottle of duty-free liquor at the airport before you leave the US after you get through Security, and mix some of your own drinks. Each adult can bring in up to 1 liter duty-free. I haven't been to LCBR since they completed the recent renovations but there used to be an ice machine near the bar that guests could use.

But after you go through customs and immigration on Grand Cayman, you will have to pack your bottles inside your luggage before rechecking for the short flight to LC - because you will have to go through Security at GCM to access the departure lounge to board the commuter flight.

They have a nice little spa at LCBR and I always enjoy getting a massage while I am there. Your wife might enjoy some spa services while you are out diving, but the appointments fill up quickly so tell her not to wait too long to book.

If you search this forum: Cayman Islands you will find a lot of information about Little Cayman and LCBR and Reef Divers, but it is really important to understand the nuances of the short commuter flight from GCM to LCM, see the links below for recent discussions on this subject:

Packing for the island hop with Cayman Air

Connecting to Little Cayman?

Grand Cayman airport update

I’m flying into Little on the 18th so we will pass one another in the airport. However, I’ve rented a house and will not be staying at LCBR.

I’m flying into Little on the 18th so we will pass one another in the airport. However, I’ve rented a house and will not be staying at LCBR.

Please write a trip report after your visit, most of our LC trip reports come from folks staying at one of the resorts.

Who will you be diving with? Many of the businesses shut down on LC over the summer (see link below) but I think that some will be back by mid-October. The article is from a couple of years ago so the dates will only be approximate for this year.

Little Cayman's big summer shutdown | Cayman Compass

Nice choice!

What kind of package did you take? If you took one with drinks included you will get up to 3 non-alcoholic or alcoholic (house brand) drinks per day. They give you a card to present at the bar when you order drinks.

The package includes a lot of stuff, but be aware that anything you buy a la carte at the resort will have a 15% service charge automatically added, even a coke.

If you enjoy alcoholic beverages on vacation, another option is to pick up a bottle of duty-free liquor at the airport before you leave the US after you get through Security, and mix some of your own drinks. Each adult can bring in up to 1 liter duty-free. I haven't been to LCBR since they completed the recent renovations but there used to be an ice machine near the bar that guests could use.

But after you go through customs and immigration on Grand Cayman, you will have to pack your bottles inside your luggage before rechecking for the short flight to LC - because you will have to go through Security at GCM to access the departure lounge to board the commuter flight.

They have a nice little spa at LCBR and I always enjoy getting a massage while I am there. Your wife might enjoy some spa services while you are out diving, but the appointments fill up quickly so tell her not to wait too long to book.

If you search this forum: Cayman Islands you will find a lot of information about Little Cayman and LCBR and Reef Divers, but it is really important to understand the nuances of the short commuter flight from GCM to LCM, see the links below for recent discussions on this subject:

Packing for the island hop with Cayman Air

Connecting to Little Cayman?

Grand Cayman airport update
Thank you for the tips and links! I took the Classic Cayman 17 dive package (I will probably nab a night dive or two) and added drinks to it. I will be sure to pick up a bottle of something something before I head down.

Unfortunately, my partner doesn't have the vacation time to join me (could come for three days, which considering the logistics did not make sense). Doesn't mean I can't get a massage though!

Reading the Cayman Air forums I will pare down my gear accordingly. Speaking of which, do you recommend a 3mm shorty or 3mm full suit for October diving in LC? I found in February on the Cayman Aggressor I was fine at first with a shorty. Over time, I swapped over to the full suit.

Thank you for the tips and links! I took the Classic Cayman 17 dive package (I will probably nab a night dive or two) and added drinks to it. I will be sure to pick up a bottle of something something before I head down.

Unfortunately, my partner doesn't have the vacation time to join me (could come for three days, which considering the logistics did not make sense). Doesn't mean I can't get a massage though!

Reading the Cayman Air forums I will pare down my gear accordingly. Speaking of which, do you recommend a 3mm shorty or 3mm full suit for October diving in LC? I found in February on the Cayman Aggressor I was fine at first with a shorty. Over time, I swapped over to the full suit.

Temperature comfort is a personal preference but I think that a 3 mm shorty with a seaskin underneath would be fine. You were doing a lot of diving on the Aggressor so you probably felt the cold more - and the water is colder in Feb, it should be mid to upper 80s in October.

But others may have different opinions.

Hi Dread,

Just returned from my first Little Cayman trip and absolutely loved the resort. Just a few tips that pop to mind.

Overall the food was excellent and plentiful. Water and snacks were provided on the boat. The water on the boat is from a community cooler with paper cups. They provide a marker and request you use one cup per day. The dive shop sales a reusable bottle that works well or of course you can bring your own.

There is a grocery store nearby. Some of the guests bought a few supplies there including a case of sodas but with all the food provided I didn’t need snacks and kept my soda consumption down by not having it readily available. For my daily “fix” I bought one each day from the dive shop which does not include the extra charge.

There is ice by the bar and unsweetened tea and coffee available between meals at the area adjunct to the room with the buffet. There was a small coffee maker and fridge in our room.

The vast majority of the tanks are al 80’s but they do have a small selection of 63’s. Fills were good and nitrox percentages consistent. After the first day I would use an 80 for the first dive of the day then 63’s (which I love) for the second and third dives. There is a time limit for the dives, usually 50 first dive and 60 next dives but Eric and I timed gearing up to be first in and last out so we actually got in 18 plus hours underwater on our 17 dives.

The dives are guided for the first half or so but you and your buddy are free to do your own dive. The way the reefs run and with the wall, we found it fairly easy to navigate (plus the benefit of a good dive briefing) so did our own thing each dive. There really was little to no current. Water temp was a quite warm 86 so most wore little beyond a rash guard. Be ready for plentiful and very friendly groupers!

I am sure that all the Reef Divers crew are good but we found Phil on our boat was truly excellent. He was the most attentive to reef selection and gear preferences of any boat crew I have dove with. Highly recommend him. His side kick was Grace. Young and made a few mistakes but wonderful attitude and eager to learn. We found out later it was her first time on the boat.

There is an area near the dock to hang wetsuits and gear but there is another area behind the rooms near the tennis courts where line is strung to dry clothes. Its not obvious unless you know to look. It works much better since it is open to the sun and breeze.

Make sure you leave yourself at least 90 minutes connection time from arrival to Grand Cayman from Little Cayman. Count down for the one hour before departure arrival requirement starts at GC, not LC. We had 8 minutes to spare. Another couple didn’t make it.

Yes, there is sargassum on the beach. For only two days of our trip was the odor noticeable. The resort seems to be fairly proactive in its removal from their beach.

Oh, and make sure you stroll out on the dock late one clear night. I haven’t seen stars or the milky way like that since my childhood!

Attachments

• 2119DC1B-9A6F-414A-AEAD-67858E78203F.jpeg
    2119DC1B-9A6F-414A-AEAD-67858E78203F.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 115
  • A96F1152-B960-4B68-8572-A5EF3A1AFD99.jpeg
    A96F1152-B960-4B68-8572-A5EF3A1AFD99.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 555B2822-E9A9-4E52-8094-FB449889CB34.jpeg
    555B2822-E9A9-4E52-8094-FB449889CB34.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 118
  • B5CC22C6-1BA3-447F-B516-E9FCAF31FD2D.jpeg
    B5CC22C6-1BA3-447F-B516-E9FCAF31FD2D.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 111
Hi Dread,

Just returned from my first Little Cayman trip and absolutely loved the resort. Just a few tips that pop to mind.

Overall the food was excellent and plentiful. Water and snacks were provided on the boat. The water on the boat is from a community cooler with paper cups. They provide a marker and request you use one cup per day. The dive shop sales a reusable bottle that works well or of course you can bring your own.

There is a grocery store nearby. Some of the guests bought a few supplies there including a case of sodas but with all the food provided I didn’t need snacks and kept my soda consumption down by not having it readily available. For my daily “fix” I bought one each day from the dive shop which does not include the extra charge.

There is ice by the bar and unsweetened tea and coffee available between meals at the area adjunct to the room with the buffet. There was a small coffee maker and fridge in our room.

The vast majority of the tanks are al 80’s but they do have a small selection of 63’s. Fills were good and nitrox percentages consistent. After the first day I would use an 80 for the first dive of the day then 63’s (which I love) for the second and third dives. There is a time limit for the dives, usually 50 first dive and 60 next dives but Eric and I timed gearing up to be first in and last out so we actually got in 18 plus hours underwater on our 17 dives.

The dives are guided for the first half or so but you and your buddy are free to do your own dive. The way the reefs run and with the wall, we found it fairly easy to navigate (plus the benefit of a good dive briefing) so did our own thing each dive. There really was little to no current. Water temp was a quite warm 86 so most wore little beyond a rash guard. Be ready for plentiful and very friendly groupers!

I am sure that all the Reef Divers crew are good but we found Phil on our boat was truly excellent. He was the most attentive to reef selection and gear preferences of any boat crew I have dove with. Highly recommend him. His side kick was Grace. Young and made a few mistakes but wonderful attitude and eager to learn. We found out later it was her first time on the boat.

There is an area near the dock to hang wetsuits and gear but there is another area behind the rooms near the tennis courts where line is strung to dry clothes. Its not obvious unless you know to look. It works much better since it is open to the sun and breeze.

Make sure you leave yourself at least 90 minutes connection time from arrival to Grand Cayman from Little Cayman. Count down for the one hour before departure arrival requirement starts at GC, not LC. We had 8 minutes to spare. Another couple didn’t make it.

Yes, there is sargassum on the beach. For only two days of our trip was the odor noticeable. The resort seems to be fairly proactive in its removal from their beach.

Oh, and make sure you stroll out on the dock late one clear night. I haven’t seen stars or the milky way like that since my childhood!

Thanks for all this great info! Did they offer a day trip over to Cayman Brac while you were there?

If they offer the trip to Brac (or it's included in your package) definitely go. The wreck at Brac is great.

When you go to Mixing Bowl, the typical dive plan is to go out along a mini wall and then come back up a little into a sandy patch area. My advice is to skip the mini wall (there's plenty of walls) and go immediately to the sandy area. There's so much life there, and you're sort of behind the mini wall anyway so you see that stuff, too. Tons of cool stuff in the sand and sand border.

34033729620_e1c74140f7_z.jpg
34259563282_d8a83fb7a3_z.jpg

Thanks for all this great info! Did they offer a day trip over to Cayman Brac while you were there?
I think its fairly standard now in their packaged dives, bit of a promotional for their other resort. :wink: They did allow divers in our group to opt out. We did the trip. It was good as an intro to the other resort but for me it and the wreck was a one and done.

Attachments

• BDBE8781-2430-49F6-9BD5-7EC64D30714A.jpeg
    BDBE8781-2430-49F6-9BD5-7EC64D30714A.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 101
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom