How much to trim drysuit wrist seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoistNeoprene

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there a rule of thumb for how much to trim a drysuit wrist seal beyond "what feels good to your preference"?

Given that silicon has a fixed elasticity, I would expect the the ratio between silicon circumference to wrist circumference would lead to a fairly standard normal distribution of zone that represents a sweet spot between comfort of the seal and reliability in keeping it dry.

If you think you've found the sweet spot for yourself, feel free to share your wrist circumference and seal circumference (at the narrowest point, which is easy to measure by pressing it flat and doubling the value), as the nerd in me would be curious to see if that distribution is indeed normal. :dork2:

I don't think anyone can tell you an accurate answer over the internet. There are just too many type and shape of seal. Cone shape and bottle shape will be different. Latex and silicone will be different. How deep are your wrist tendants will make a differenc. Just too many variables.

I would say start conservative. You can always trim one more ring after a few dives.

I trim mine all the way to the base. It makes it easier to use dry gloves without wrist seals. :)

I never trim, I always just strech. For wrist seals, put a 12oz beverage can in there for 24 hrs.

As already mentioned, only cut a little at a time and try it out. If your hands are feeling numb, then cut a little more. As much of a pain as it is, try cutting a little and wear the drysuit around the house. If you're not getting enough blood to your hands then cut a little more. If you're diving and your hands are feeling numb, make sure it is from the seals and not from the cold.

You should trim until it leaks, then put two rings back. ;-)

More seriously, snug but not snug enough to impede blood flow is what you're after. You'll learn more by putting a finger under someone else's correctly cut seal with his or her wrist inside than you will ever learn from written suggestions.

Oh, and if you're diving dry gloves and get cold fingers. Your seals may be too tight even though it feels comfortable. Seal/seal drygloves can handle way looser seals than seal/wetgloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom