Nosy Be

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tottem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just returned from 2 weeks on Nosy Be. I dived with Mada Scuba and I had a great experience. I have previously been diving in Indonesia and Philippines. I really never been a fan of the diving in Philippines and liked Nosy Be more. Maybe the corals are less colorful here but there is really a lot of variety in fish species. One more advantage is that it´s less crowded then Asian dive sites. Many days I was only diver on the boat.

Those that are used to Indonesia will be disappointed, but I guess that will be same for most destinations.

Anybody else that been to Nosy Be? What are your thoughts?

Especially Marine Park Nosy Tanikely is excellent.

I had no idea where Nosy Be is located (Madagascar, says Google). Since there are lots of great reasons to visit the island topside, knowing there is decent diving just makes it even more attractive.

image.jpeg
Love it - did Nosy Be and her islands - Komba and Tanikely on Scuba, Sakatia on snorkel due to being there in cyclone season which I felt a bonus because we were the only two tourists on NB for 13/14 days. Sure it's 100% humidity but happy to trade that off for having two totally empty resorts to ourselves - the first week at Amboatalaka second at Bafoataka Bay.
Our third dive we rolled in on top of a pair of blue dragon nudi's, I got to see some unfamiliar fish and critters and a leopard shark showed up one dive. For some reason the Titan trigger fish were a lot mellower - maybe they don't like too many divers either.
A word of caution - pick your operator well, you are a long way from help in the worlds third poorest and very corrupt country and at certain times of the year you get some wild currents - particularly when the Mozambique eddy is flowing.

Viz was quite variable from great to milky and it's typical Indian Ocean diving so not to be expected as 'colorful' as SEA but the one thing we did notice was....no trash. In the water or on the beaches.

when was the cyclon? we are interesting in muck macro can u recomand to go in april or october ?

Cyclone season is Nov - February - I'd hazard a guess April would be the better option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom