Iceland Dive Shop question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbsepter

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Iceland dive shops I have a dry-suit question for you. I get a few divers that are coming to your area and would like to dive and these students state you are requiring dry-suit certification.

As a dry-suit instructor and understand the temperature there my question is this. After certification of one pool session and two certification dives what else do you require.

One student came to Iceland(didn't say what shop) and they were requested to prove ## of dives in a dry-suit.

Please could a shop advise so I can advise the students if and when they come to me for certification.

Thanks

Greg
PADI-266938

I’m looking to dive Iceland in the near future and was told by a rep at a Diveshow that it’s DrySuit cert + 25dives minimum

can anyone else confirm?

Iceland dive shops I have a dry-suit question for you. I get a few divers that are coming to your area and would like to dive and these students state you are requiring dry-suit certification.

As a dry-suit instructor and understand the temperature there my question is this. After certification of one pool session and two certification dives what else do you require.

One student came to Iceland(didn't say what shop) and they were requested to prove ## of dives in a dry-suit.

Please could a shop advise so I can advise the students if and when they come to me for certification.

Thanks

Greg
PADI-266938

I read on the site it was the certification or 10 drysuit dives within the year. But that was just online at Snorkeling & Diving in Silfra, Iceland | Dive Silfra.

From the Dive.is website:

• Proof of dry suit dive certification or 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
-Z

From the divingisland.com website:

"Scuba participants must be certified PADI Open Water divers or equivalent and have a dry suit certification or a minimum of ten documented dry suit dives."

Interesting that on this site the drysuit requirement is only for Silfras diving. They offer a diving tour along the Reykjanes peninsula and there is nothing listed about using drysuits or needing drysuit certification/proof of drysuit experience....perhaps the water temp between the tectonic plates is colder? Inquiring minds want to know.

-Z

It’s one way to limit the number of divers that is skill related because that site is getting overwhelmed. The random ocean tours don’t have an oversubscribed locale.

The drysuit cert or proof of 10 logged drysuit dives in the last 2 years is a Thingvellir national park rule. It has nothing to do with the operators.

Diving

From the Dive.is website:

• Proof of dry suit dive certification or 10 logged dry suit dives within two years of tour date
-Z

This was also my experience. I did not have the 10 logged dry suit dives when I dove Silfra last year.

This was also my experience. I did not have the 10 logged dry suit dives when I dove Silfra last year.

So did you have proof of certification? It is certification OR proof of 10 logged drysuit dives from everything I have read, not both.

It is interesting that one can dive there with a drysuit certification and never have dived in a drysuit after that cert but if you have been diving drysuit for years without the cert you need an instructor to confirm in writing that you have really done at least those 10 dives in the past 2 years......where would you find an instructor willing to sign confirmation that you dived anywhere yet alone a drysuit suit dive if they were not with you? The requirement, or at least how it is written It just doesn't make much sense.

From Diving:
"DIVERS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE A DRY SUITE CERTIFICATE OR 10 REGISTERED DRY SUIT DIVES IN THE LAST TWO YEARS.
The proof of the latter must be a written confirmation by an instructor affiliated with an internationally recognized diving organization. Dive operators will require medical information for their guests and wet suit diving is now prohibited."

-Z

Back
Top Bottom