Diving accident in Palm Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jndiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
About 10:45 am I saw Marine Rescue head out of the Rivera Beach marina. About 11:30 they came speeding back and transported a female diver to fire rescue. They did not appear to be on oxygen nor was there any rushing around. Very organised. Diver was flexing their hand in the air and appeared to be consious. Saw a little blood on on stretcher. There was 6 or more emergency workers there. Not sure what boat they on or if they were on a private one. Looks like a good outcome for once. Some wind but very bright sky. Viability looked pretty good a BHB.

From the article HalcyonDaze linked:

"Two hours later, the Coast Guard was again out near Lake Worth Inlet, this time responding to a call from the dive boat Deep Obsession saying a passenger had suffered a laceration on the back of her knee."

and

"Coast Guard crews medevaced a woman to shore, where she received medical attention."

I take it this was probably the one involved (the other case mentioned was a man)? If so, wonder how she got a laceration on the back of her knee bad enough to send the Coast Guard out and medivac her to shore? I hope we learn more.

Richard.

"Two hours later, the Coast Guard was again out near Lake Worth Inlet, this time responding to a call from the dive boat Deep Obsession saying a passenger had suffered a laceration on the back of her knee."

and

"Coast Guard crews medevaced a woman to shore, where she received medical attention."

I take it this was probably the one involved (the other case mentioned was a man)? If so, wonder how she got a laceration on the back of her knee bad enough to send the Coast Guard out and medivac her to shore? I hope we learn more.

Richard.

According to my information it was vessel-related.

If so, wonder how she got a laceration on the back of her knee bad enough to send the Coast Guard out and medivac her to shore? I hope we learn more.

I can think of several ways. Especially if one falls or bumps into something. Edge of ladder, metal seats, tank valves. Seen folks fall or bump into things. Just one example is climbing a ladder and your foot slips through and the step hits your inner leg. There are some major vessels on the back of the leg. Then with any blood loss you worry about shock, etc. Since blood was visible there is some blood loss. I am sure the coast guard can get her to medical care a lot faster than a dive boat returning to port can.

Surge and coral can do a number also.

Deep O runs shark feeding trips. I do not know if this was such a trip (I have friends that were scheduled on the afternoon trip) but I agree that this most likely happened onboard the vessel. Deep O is not a quick dive boat, so it makes sense that they would call the USCG, especially if this was a shark feeding trip (they would be more than 3 miles offshore).

About 10:45 am I saw Marine Rescue head out of the Rivera Beach marina. About 11:30 they came speeding back and transported a female diver to fire rescue. They did not appear to be on oxygen nor was there any rushing around. Very organised. Diver was flexing their hand in the air and appeared to be consious. Saw a little blood on on stretcher. There was 6 or more emergency workers there. Not sure what boat they on or if they were on a private one. Looks like a good outcome for once. Some wind but very bright sky. Viability looked pretty good a BHB.

"Two hours later, t

and

Richard.

he Coast Guard was again out near Lake Worth Inlet, this time responding to a call from the dive boat Deep Obsession saying a passenger had suffered a laceration on the back of her knee."

and

Richard.

I can tell you what happened!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom