Drysuit Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive2617

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a relatively new drysuit diver (experienced diver otherwise) and finally felt comfortable to do a 150ft wreck dive in the great lakes 2 weeks ago. It was amazing other than the fact after 15 of our 25 minute bottom time at 39F I was shivering, literally. I have a shell drysuit and was just wearing what I could throw together from the closet and it didn't cut it. So I dove this weekend with my lds and the owner brought me 4th element arctic undergarments to try and it was a huge difference. Made it 25 minutes in 40F water without freezing my ass off. That said I wouldn't go so far as to call myself toasty. Of course today I found a used santi bz400 thinsulate for a very nice deal and have heard it is a lot warmer but have also heard mixed reviews about wear and flexibility (a must for valve shutdowns etc). Should I just get the arctic and wear a warmer base under the top next time? Or is the bz400 really warm and nice? Or is there something even better out there you would recommend? Any advice is appreciated.

Also curious about the halo 3D, I've heard it is warmer than the arctics but curious about its buoyancy characteristics?

What is your base layer? I’ve found wool makes a difference. I just get Smart Wool from REI. A good good and dry gloves also make a huge difference.

What is your base layer? I’ve found wool makes a difference. I just get Smart Wool from REI.
I just wore underarmor under it, maybe the smartwool is what I am missing. The arctics are so close to being warm enough!

If you want a good amount of thermal protection the Aqualung/Whites Thermal Fusion works very well. You typically won't need anything under it except some thin polypro tops and bottoms to wick away sweat.

-Z

I have the BZ400x, Arctics, and Xerotherms. I find the BZ warm but annoyingly bulky and not as mobile. The arctic keeps me just as warm but less bulk. If you're still cold with the arctic you could put the xerotherm under it and it still be less bulky than the bz. I splurged and got 4th elements baselayer and it keeps me warmer than my store-bought baselayer like you'd find at REI

Back
Top Bottom