Best sidemount equipment brands/models in for recreational diving in 2019 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What would be the best sidemount equipment brands/models for recreational diving in 2019 ?

Recreational diving: Air or Nitrox. No Trimix. No caves or other overhead environments.

Maximum depth around 30m.

Please list your favorite or not so favorite brands/models, with all the relevant pros and cons !

XDeep Tec 2 - Easy to dive or adjust trim. It is a little big though, I'm 5'9" ~140lb. ETA: I don’t need my tec redundant for my tiny tanks, but it covers expansion later, plus I dive a very thick suit. Eventually I’ll get a Deco as well.

Turret DIN regs - I like my Deep6, but my Mk25 works well also. A minor difference is that the HP hose for the Deep6 goes straight 'down' the tank, while the Mk25 angles out a bit. Straight down seems better.

SumpUK - Nicer hardware bits. Drop D's angled better. Slim fixed D's. Alternate buckles.

DGX Elastic Hose Retainers - They have a woven cloth thread surface, so re-stowing the hose is easier underwater. I've used the EPDM ones, but they seem a bit too sticky to slide the hose under easily; super secure, but harder to re-stow. I've used the wide Dive Rite Deluxe hose retainers, they're nicely done, but the extra width makes more work to stow.

RubberMaid shallow tub - to lay tanks in as gearing up/down. Mine are small tanks...

AL40/LP50 tanks - a sweet size.

I need to get one of the hose quick release 'clamps' for my long hose. They look good.

xdeep tec is overkill for a pair of al40s or lp45/50s recreationally. go with something smaller like the classic or DECO or apeks wsx25 instead.

In all seriousness, a DGX single tank bp/w.

That being said, in general, xDeep Classic, any turret swivel first, I'm partial to Deep6, Dive Rite XT's.

I am using XDeep Stealth Classic 2.0 with Apeks reg sets.

I trained via sidemounting.com – Online video training courses for Scuba Divers then did the physical training in Florida with one of their instructors. The majority of my dives are lakes, and standard open water. I took the cavern course at the same time as sidemount but usually I am nowhere near a cave opening. Just in a lake orb ocean. Steve has a lot of good gear comparisons on that site and his youtube site.

In Montreal, I have located these different options:
Go Sidemount Razor 2.5
Dive Rite Nomad XT and LTZ
ScubaPro X-TEC sidemount
XDeep Stealth (Classic, Rec, Tec)
Apeks WSX sidemount

What would be the pros and cons of each system ?

I use a Nomad LT. The LTZ is basically the same with more lift. The LT works fine with 2 al 80's or lp 50's in a wet suit, or I have used it with lp 85's in a dry suit. The LT is small and light. If I am doing anything that requires stages, I revert back to my Armadillo. I have not tried the others cause, well, how much gear do you really need?

Back
Top Bottom