G250/G250HP question.....again....sorry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hongrace

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me if this reg a genuine G250, a G250HP or a converted G250 in a G250HP casing?

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_2331.jpg.jpg
    IMG_2331.jpg.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 159
But I thought HP has a plastic barrel. Is the barrel in this reg a G250 barrel or HP barrel?

The G250 barrel doesn't have a threaded end.
But you have a good point about the metal barrel. I'll have to think what might have gotten switched in. You're right. I don't know of a metal HP barrel. Maybe an early G500?? I'll have to think about what might fit.

Thoughts, @couv ?

Attachments

• 2019-08-18 (2).png
    2019-08-18 (2).png
    201.6 KB · Views: 182
When the HP came out, SP sent out a bulletin to shop owners and techs with the bright idea to convince customers to "upgrade" their good old G250 to HP. I think the original upgrade kits did have metal air barrels with threads on the adjustment end.

I think @hongrace has an "upgraded" G250. Have a look at the bulletin for the CE marking etc.

Attachments

• 266_G250upgrade_to_G250HP.pdf
    629.5 KB · Views: 195
You da' man, @couv.
I'm always learning something

ok.... I am really confused now..

So, I have an original G250 casing. Someone in the past took the metal barrel out and install a metal barrel of different design. Then remove the metal resistance adj knob and install the HP adj knob which is a rubber coated thingy.

How do you put this reg in the line up in term of performance? Does it perform like the original G250 (because it still has a metal barrel and the original casing)? Or does it perform like an HP because it has the HP adj knob and poppet??!!

I don't see the logic of this conversion. Aa far as I can see, all it did was just the design of the ends of the air barrel. Really strange conversion.

Performance wise the standard G250 and HP were pretty much equal when tuned correctly. However, the HP saw the introduction of a much higher parts count that had no real effect on performance. It just added complications and gave the technician an additional place to make adjustments to the spring tension.

DA Aquamaster pointed out that with the additional adjustment, SP could get away with looser tolerances on the spring.

The same type of monkey motion is now found in lots of the current models. Fortunately most of the pneumatically balanced second stages have commonality in the main valve parts-i.e. poppet assembly, spring, balance chamber. Also, they are designed to be adjusted with a small flat blade screwdriver. The HP had an oddball balance chamber and required a special tool.

Thanks rsingler and couv for the info. Just want to confirm the casing in my photo is an original G250 casing? It has CE0098 EN250 wording just in front of the mouth piece on the hose side. The reason I asked is I have the urge to un-convert this one back to a G250. Is the purge button plate design and the face plate (the one with just G250 printed underneath the purge button) correct for a G250?

Yike.....I believe the case, cover, purge should all be correct as I think what you have was originally a standard G250.

According to the bulletin:

Identifying a G250 that can be converted:
G250s that can be converted are distinguished by the fact that the case and front
cover will have the cover retention pin hole and pin placed on the side opposite
the inhalation adjustment knob. In addition, there will be a "CE" mark on the
second stage body, and a built-in anti-set feature in the purge button.

So if you have the above, then we are probably on the right track.

Refer to the bulletin for the parts that were discarded-those will be the parts required to un-convert it.

Just curious, are you having issues with the HP? If not, why not keep it as is?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom