Historic Logos, Decals, and Patches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
@sh0ck1999's OEM Logo stickers /decals post got me thinking that a collection of historic images of logos, decals, and patches might be interesting and worth capturing. Here are some from my stash:

These are from the US Navy because they are big on patches and I have a bunch.

The logo was used by the Sealab program and has been my favorite since I was a teenager. The program captivated me, but ended tragically before I joined the Navy. The shape of the face profile always reminded me of a sonar graph turned sideways.

full.jpg

The same logo was used inside the Man-in-the-Sea logo:

full.jpg

I did manage to get assigned to the Mark II Deep Dive System onboard the USS Elk River that was Sealab III's support vessel. The system was nearing a major overhaul when I came aboard, I was lucky enough to get qualified as a saturation diver, help with the system certification dives, and become a sat instructor before leaving the service.

full.jpg

These two patches are from the Bathyscaphe Trieste II that I managed to snag during the months I was temporarily assigned to her. This one predated my time onboard and showed the original Trieste:

full.jpg

This one was sewn onto our coveralls when I was onboard:

full.jpg

The research submarine Dolphin, AGSS-555 was often tied up next to us and a crewman gave me this patch. She was a deep diving Diesel-Electric research boat with a 3,000'/9115M test depth.

full.jpg

The Mark II, Trieste II, and the Dolphin operated under Submarine Development Group One at Ballast Point in San Diego.

full.jpg

Historic Recreational Diving (or at least vintage)

The following patch is from Diving Unlimited in San Diego, which later became DUI or Diving Unlimited International. This patch is off one of their hot water heated wetsuits used by commercial and military divers all over the world. They had a really cool Vinyl patch before this one that illustrated a diver in full deep sea gear sitting in a steaming bathtub. I am really bummed that I didn't save one of those.

full.jpg

Of course DUI is famous for their drysuit today but they still make hot water suits.

I included the next one because it was one of the early dive shops that advertised mail-order in Skin Diver Magazine. That may sound weird in the Internet era but it was really controversial at the time.

full.jpg

Dräger (or Drager or Draeger) is one of Germany's largest medical product manufacturers and has a small (by their standards) division that makes rebreathers and hyperbaric systems for medical markets. I worked with that division in the 1970s and saved this decal.
full.jpg

Historic Commercial Diving

Ocean Systems Inc. was one of the earliest commercial diving companies using saturation diving techniques and was founded by aviation and diving pioneer Ed Link. Joe MacInnis was their medical director in 1965.

full.jpg

Miller Diving Equipment was an early manufacturer of lightweight helmets for commercial diving. Ben Miller also developed "the standard" harness for commercial divers.

full.jpg

Comex was founded by Henri Delauze and was France's largest commercial diving company. Most of their offshore diving operations have merged with huge offshore service providers. Sorry for the condition of the patch; it was salvaged off a pair of old coveralls before heading for the rag locker.

full.jpg

Historic Hyperbaric Stuff

This was the first warning label for decompression and hyperbaric treatment chambers that I saw incorporating graphics for non-English speakers, circa 1975. It has been widely copied since.

full.jpg

I don’t even remember how I acquired this patch but it was a depth record at the time.

full.jpg

Ladies and Gentleman, start your scanners.

Last edited:
@Piscessub
Would you have any interest in selling the two trieste patches?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I suspect Akimbo would entertain offers for a the very rare 68 year old patches but there would need to be a very large first number and a big bunch of zeros
SDM

Let me check my stash, I may have some duplicates. I'm guessing you worked on one of the Pisces deep submersibles? Nice boats.

Were you around when Al Trice was at International Hydrodynamics in BC? I worked with him on a joint project bidding a diver lockout bell/submersible for Oceaneering but we didn't win the bid.

@sh0ck1999's OEM Logo stickers /decals post got me thinking that a collection of historic images of logos, decals, and patches might be interesting and worth capturing. Here are some from my stash:

These are from the US Navy because they are big on patches and I have a bunch.

The logo was used by the Sealab program has been my favorite since I was a teenager. The program captivated me, but ended tragically before I joined the Navy. The shape of the face profile always reminded me of a sonar graph turned sideways.

View attachment 455940

The same logo was used inside the Man-in-the-Sea logo:

View attachment 455941

I did manage to get assigned to the Mark II Deep Dive System onboard the USS Elk River that was Sealab III's support vessel. The system was nearing a major overhaul when I came aboard, I was lucky enough to get qualified as a saturation diver, help with the system certification dives, and become a sat instructor before leaving the service.

View attachment 455942

These two patches are from the Bathyscaphe Trieste II that I managed to snag during the months I was temporarily assigned to her. This one predated my time onboard and showed the original Trieste:

View attachment 455943

This one was sewn onto our coveralls when I was onboard:

View attachment 455944

The research submarine Dolphin, AGSS-555 was often tied up next to us and a crewman gave me this patch. She was a deep diving Diesel-Electric research boat with a 3,000'/9115M test depth.

View attachment 455945

The Mark II, Trieste II, and the Dolphin operated under Submarine Development Group One at Ballast Point in San Diego.

View attachment 455946

Historic Recreational Diving (or at least vintage)

The following patch is from Diving Unlimited in San Diego, which later became DUI or Diving Unlimited International. This patch is off one of their hot water heated wetsuits used by commercial and military divers all over the world. They had a really cool Vinyl patch before this one that illustrated a diver in full deep sea gear sitting in a steaming bathtub. I am really bummed that I didn't save one of those.

View attachment 455947
Of course DUI is famous for their drysuit today but they still make hot water suits.

I included the next one because it was one of the early dive shops that advertised mail-order in Skin Diver Magazine. That may sound weird in the Internet era but it was really controversial at the time.

View attachment 455948

Dräger (or Drager or Draeger) is one of Germany's largest medical product manufacturers and has a small (by their standards) division that makes rebreathers and hyperbaric systems for medical markets. I worked with that division in the 1970s and saved this decal.
View attachment 455949

Historic Commercial Diving

Ocean Systems Inc. was one of the earliest commercial diving companies using saturation diving techniques and was founded by aviation and diving pioneer Ed Link. Joe MacInnis was their medical director in 1965.

View attachment 455950

Miller Diving Equipment was an early manufacturer of lightweight helmets for commercial diving. Ben Miller also developed "the standard" harness for commercial divers.

View attachment 455951

Comex was founded by Henri Delauze and was France's largest commercial diving company. Most of their offshore diving operations have merged with huge offshore service providers. Sorry for the condition of the patch; it was salvaged off a pair of old coveralls before heading for the rag locker.

View attachment 455952

Historic Hyperbaric Stuff

This was the first warning label for decompression and hyperbaric treatment chambers that I saw incorporating graphics for non-English speakers, circa 1975. It has been widely copied since.

View attachment 455953

I don’t even remember how I acquired this patch but it was a depth record at the time.

View attachment 455954

Ladies and Gentleman, start your scanners.

All I can say is Very Cool!

Let me check my stash, I may have some duplicates.

I have several of these.

upload_2019-7-7_16-32-3.png

Let's talk trade... got any cool patches or decals?

Nice collection.I have the first patch.The Sealab navy one.They can go for good money.Not the one from the joker who makes his own reports on ebay for $10.I have many old club patches and some military.If you care to see some.I will post pics.Later Mike.

Those are awesome @Akimbo VERY COOL. I have my dad's stash of old USAF patches I need to go through.

That’s cool! Thanks for sharing

Nice collection, thanks for sharing. I've never seen that Comex one before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom