Nikons v

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brewingfisherman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have recently acquired a nikonos v from my father.

I think my photo is attached. But the camera is in great shape. I have a 20mm lens on it. and I think that should suffice. No plans on spending a ton of money in this venture.

So basically I am going to grab a roll of film to shot and ensure the camera works. Then get the dynamic orings serviced unless I can do those myself. Replace film door and the other user replaceable orings on my own.

I want to invest in a flash. I'm seeing nikonos flashes for about 100 and older ikelite flashes for much cheaper.

The higher the number the stronger the flash is what I am gathering, is this correct? Example ikelite substrobe 75 is not as strong as ikelite 125. How strong of a flash do I actually need? Also I do have access to an old ikelite 75 but the glass is cracked and the flash is old so I'm assuming it would be cheaper to get a new one (used) then servicing cracked glass and replacing the battery.

I'd like to get the 15mm lens for it if I see it for the right price. But not necessary.

Please give me your thoughts if you have the time. But overall it will be nice using the camera my father used over 25 years ago, today.

No I am not a professional diver or photographer and I am not really interested in such either. Just want to get some awesome shots and challenge myself in the scuba sport.

I am located in Miami and mostly dive in miami or the keys. So the water is usually warm and clear.

Nikon always had nice glass; and, if you look for a 15 mm lens, choose an older model, since some plastic elements were said to have been introduced to later editions.

The V is OK; its only shortcoming, in my opinion, were the addition of some quasi-useful electronics. I had always preferred the III -- purely mechanical in design, and could be cleaned out with a hose or faucet in the event of a flood; and put back into action after drying.

Good luck with it . . .

The V is OK; its only shortcoming were the addition of some quasi-useful electronics. I had always preferred the III -- purely mechanical in design, and could be cleaned out with a hose or faucet in the event of a flood.

Good luck with it . . .

Yes!

The Nik III was the '69 Mustang of underwater cameras. In the '80s, I could have it rebuilt for $150. It was cheaper to let it flood every 3-4 years and rebuild it that it was to spend $85 a year to have its annual service. It's manual controls taught me all about Fstops , ISO and shutter speed.

Once the Nik 5 came out, things just weren't the same.

I think my photo is attached. But the camera is in great shape. I have a 20mm lens on it. and I think that should suffice. No plans on spending a ton of money in this venture.

So basically I am going to grab a roll of film to shot and ensure the camera works. Then get the dynamic orings serviced unless I can do those myself. Replace film door and the other user replaceable orings on my own.

I want to invest in a flash. I'm seeing nikonos flashes for about 100 and older ikelite flashes for much cheaper.

The higher the number the stronger the flash is what I am gathering, is this correct? Example ikelite substrobe 75 is not as strong as ikelite 125. How strong of a flash do I actually need? Also I do have access to an old ikelite 75 but the glass is cracked and the flash is old so I'm assuming it would be cheaper to get a new one (used) then servicing cracked glass and replacing the battery.

I'd like to get the 15mm lens for it if I see it for the right price. But not necessary.

Please give me your thoughts if you have the time. But overall it will be nice using the camera my father used over 25 years ago, today.

No I am not a professional diver or photographer and I am not really interested in such either. Just want to get some awesome shots and challenge myself in the scuba sport.

I am located in Miami and mostly dive in miami or the keys. So the water is usually warm and clear.

was a great camera in its day. Now very difficult to find facility to service it and if you do expensive, add to that cost of film, developing. The Ike 75 strobe is beyond ancient, likely 40 years old, very heavy and battery is non replaceable now. Much less costly to go digital today. I say this as an owner of 6 Nikonos 2’s , 2 nikonos 5’s assorted lens, Ike 75 sunstone, Ike 150 strobe, Ike 225 strobe. Non of this gear has been used since I went digital many years ago.

I have an ikelite AI flash good shape. It is 100 watts of power. Mid size ikelite flash $100

Nik 5’s are good for getting creative with BW film using the 20mm lens, in clear sunlit waters looking up and going for the big vista with natural light. Leave the strobes at home.
Or perhaps using it on a pouring rainy day topside to get shots of raging storms using the 35mm lens.
Or maybe running a raging rapid and taking pictures. They can take a hell of a beating.
I have one and use it once in a while.

Nikon always had nice glass; and, if you look for a 15 mm lens, choose an older model, since some plastic elements were said to have been introduced to later editions.

The V is OK; its only shortcoming, in my opinion, were the addition of some quasi-useful electronics. I had always preferred the III -- purely mechanical in design, and could be cleaned out with a hose or faucet in the event of a flood; and put back into action after drying.

Good luck with it . . .

Let's see how I do. I might invest in a iii if its that easy to recover after an issue at depth.

Yes!

The Nik III was the '69 Mustang of underwater cameras. In the '80s, I could have it rebuilt for $150. It was cheaper to let it flood every 3-4 years and rebuild it that it was to spend $85 a year to have its annual service. It's manual controls taught me all about Fstops , ISO and shutter speed.

Once the Nik 5 came out, things just weren't the same.

Definitely looking into a iii once I figure out film underwater. If I can figure it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom