Can anyone help me choose which used computer to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep wondering about this myself: it's one more hose to get rid of but unless and until I get to dive a "streamlined OW" rig with no SPG, I won't know how much difference it makes IRL... So I'm sticking with my Leo for the foreseeable future.

I moved to an air integrated computer this year and will not be going back. Less hoses to manage and having all the information on my wrist, which while I am in trim is very close to my face means there is very little effort to check what I need to. I have not yet had a leak, loss of communication, or any other problem. (About 40 dives on it in fresh and salt water). I have entered and exited boats using various methods to include rope pull ups of my rig and have not damaged the transmitter. I do carry an extra battery and o-ring set in my go bag and changing battery is extremely easy.

I have the palegic pressure system MH8A transmitter that works with oceanic, shearwater and aqualung computers, so very versatile.

I would second a deeper look at the algorithms and choose carefully, there is a wide gap in NDL limits between them. My daughter uses a suunto with RGBM and I use a shearwater with Bulhman16c and on a recent dive there was more than a 25 min divergence in NDL limits because of the algorithms.

Hi @Dr. Deep

Do you have a peference for decompression algorithm? The computers you listed represent a wide range.

If you want to download, you will meed a cable for some or all of these.

I don't know of a particular algorithm I wanted, but I do know I prefer a liberal algorithm or the option to choose. I am a very active diver and would get frustrated if the algorithm was too conservative.

I moved to an air integrated computer this year and will not be going back. Less hoses to manage and having all the information on my wrist, which while I am in trim is very close to my face means there is very little effort to check what I need to. I have not yet had a leak, loss of communication, or any other problem. (About 40 dives on it in fresh and salt water). I have entered and exited boats using various methods to include rope pull ups of my rig and have not damaged the transmitter. I do carry an extra battery and o-ring set in my go bag and changing battery is extremely easy.

I have the palegic pressure system MH8A transmitter that works with oceanic, shearwater and aqualung computers, so very versatile.

I would second a deeper look at the algorithms and choose carefully, there is a wide gap in NDL limits between them. My daughter uses a suunto with RGBM and I use a shearwater with Bulhman16c and on a recent dive there was more than a 25 min divergence in NDL limits because of the algorithms.

Wow, that's a big difference. I'll definitely need to look into which algorithms are used on each and every single computer, that "25 min divergence" seems drastically overboard. I could understand 5 min... sheesh

I don't know of a particular algorithm I wanted, but I do know I prefer a liberal algorithm or the option to choose. I am a very active diver and would get frustrated if the algorithm was too conservative.

Oceanic has DSAT which is quite liberal as well as Z+ which is more conservative. I don’t think it’s as conservative as Suunto’s RGBM though. That will give you flexibility to choose.

Oceanic has DSAT which is quite liberal as well as Z+ which is more conservative. I don’t think it’s as conservative as Suunto’s RGBM though. That will give you flexibility to choose.
Thanks, and I believe the Mantis uses a Buhlmann algorithm with a little biometric data mixed in for fun. I think its middle of the road in comparison.

Thanks, and I believe the Mantis uses a Buhlmann algorithm with a little biometric data mixed in for fun. I think its middle of the road in comparison.
The Scubapro version of Buhlmann, ZH-L8 or 16 ADT MB, is proprietary and used only by them. The baseline algorithm is on the conservative side and any adjustment you make regarding MB level or biometrics make it more conservative. Being proprietary, nobody knows how these elements are implemented.

Wow, that's a big difference. I'll definitely need to look into which algorithms are used on each and every single computer, that "25 min divergence" seems drastically overboard. I could understand 5 min... sheesh

You are correct, 25 minutes is the difference between pressure group none and P (or thereabouts), and that just BS, PEBCAK, and/or a malfunctioning computer.

RGBM mostly penalizes for short SIs and carries over the "repetitive dive" penalties for much longer than others. You could, in principle, push it into that kind of difference, but it would require a diving schedule that IMO qualifies for "Problem Between Chair And Keyboard".

You are correct, 25 minutes is the difference between pressure group none and P (or thereabouts), and that just BS, PEBCAK, and/or a malfunctioning computer.

RGBM mostly penalizes for short SIs and carries over the "repetitive dive" penalties for much longer than others. You could, in principle, push it into that kind of difference, but it would require a diving schedule that IMO qualifies for "Problem Between Chair And Keyboard".

Was not malfunctioning computer, was repetitive dive with 45 min SI, plan mode off same depths. I was surprised how drastic the difference was too. Had the COBRA 3 and a Cress Leonardo (both rgbm) as backup and both were reporting similar NDLs, only different by a couple of minutes, but both significantly different from my Teri’s in rec mode running buhlman16c

Was not malfunctioning computer, was repetitive dive with 45 min SI, plan mode off same depths. I was surprised how drastic the difference was too. Had the COBRA 3 and a Cress Leonardo (both rgbm) as backup and both were reporting similar NDLs, only different by a couple of minutes, but both significantly different from my Teri’s in rec mode running buhlman16c

And that's still BS because you don't get that much difference on the 2nd dive of the day after a 45 minute SI. If that was the case we'd have heard the screams long before now. What else did you do and forget to mention here? -- another five dives with 40-minute SIs before that? Forgot to set your RGBM computers to EAN?

And that's still BS because you don't get that much difference on the 2nd dive of the day after a 45 minute SI. If that was the case we'd have heard the screams long before now. What else did you do and forget to mention here? -- another five dives with 40-minute SIs before that? Forgot to set your RGBM computers to EAN?

You have quite the strong opinion for someone who was not there looking at the screens. Perhaps you should apply your omnipotence to the stock market and make yourself a quick buck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom