Light position/attachment for pull & glide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as you are smooth and not rushing the light should not throw any signals to your dive mates. All of you know you are in a pull and glide area so they are evaluating the same as you. When you get a few more dives in that system you will remember the hand holds and not really need to look any more. I have my light on my left hand but it is for convienance of reading my gauges and computer since I am left handed and like to have them on my right side.

simbrooks:
Ok, i guess my question on this was in regard to using both hands - in a cyclic kind of way, to pull one at a time after a bit of a glide, left - glide - right - glide etc. There may be times when one hand has more options on handholds, in that case use mostly that side. What i am asking is if people feel the motion of the pull and glide affects where their light goes and the possibility of sending unmeant signals - eratic light pattern, if so how do you get around it? I know Rick always wears his on his shoulder d-ring, like i said, i feel comfortable doing it that way for certain activities, but not all. I like having the ability to view the cave by pointing my light off my hand during line following (not laying though) and retrieval, i guess i just need more practice at pull & glide this weekend :wink:
I've found that you don't really need to switch hands to pull-n-glide, there's plenty of hand holds on both sides, you have have to give a random kick here and there, but pulling with my left hand hasn't caused any problems so far, and I don't think pulling with my right would either.

OneBrightGator:
I've found that you don't really need to switch hands to pull-n-glide, there's plenty of hand holds on both sides, you have have to give a random kick here and there, but pulling with my left hand hasn't caused any problems so far, and I don't think pulling with my right would either.

I hold my light in my left hand, pull and glide with both hands. Just careful you don't bang the light. Maybe I have big hands that allow this, but somebody tell me if I'm wrong. Didn't seem to be a big problem the few times I've HAD to pull and glide (Little River entrance for sure).

GDI:
In my experience signaling was all but non-existent, when I'd look back to check on them they didn't have the immediate availability (handheld you just drop your hand) to move their light and I'd get blinded. Also, it's an "active" skill to hold the light in your hand, in other words, when I see an handheld light pointing ahead I know my buddy is back there, safe and in control, with a shoulder mount it's permanently pointed forward, so he could be fine, or unconscious on the floor or ceiling and I wouldn't immediately know it.

Also, it takes additional effort to signal and look in any other direction then where your body is pointing.

I like Rick, hold my light seldom. I clip it to my left side D ring at my shoulder. Keeping the cord tucked in my waist. Having both hands free at all times is a plus. Should you need to do one of those skills you hope you never need. IE valve drill due to knock down. Only happened twice so far. :)
Pulling with one hand beats the crap out of that hands finger tips. More fun to have both hands hurt. :)

I'll leave Bens observations alone. Not in the mood to critique.
Sharks are always in the water. :)

Hey guys,
If you can pull and GLIDE.....you should be swimming:)

Waterlover:
Hey guys,
If you can pull and GLIDE.....you should be swimming:)

As I understand it, your arm muscles are more efficient/use less energy than your larger leg muscles. Pullling and gliding will help your gas usage in high flow caves. If you've ever done it you can feel the advantage of pull and glide versus kicking against strong flow.

Of course, this is a discussion for us too poor to buy a scooter :11:

OneBrightGator:
In my experience signaling was all but non-existent, when I'd look back to check on them they didn't have the immediate availability (handheld you just drop your hand) to move their light and I'd get blinded. Also, it's an "active" skill to hold the light in your hand, in other words, when I see an handheld light pointing ahead I know my buddy is back there, safe and in control, with a shoulder mount it's permanently pointed forward, so he could be fine, or unconscious on the floor or ceiling and I wouldn't immediately know it.

Also, it takes additional effort to signal and look in any other direction then where your body is pointing.

Good Answer Ben,
But, if you can see their light then you know they are there, The moment you stop seeing their light (awareness) then you need to check their status. An unconscious diver floor or ceiling will not tend to keep team contact very much. The emphasis of maintaining team contact (which is a responsibility of all team members) has a higher level of responsibility going to the lead diver. In my experiences The lead diver has a tendency to leave the other team members well back as they usually are able to move at a faster pace. I'm not opposed to holding a light in my hand, I don't find it task loading and communication is not a problem. I also don't think I need to circle "OK" every 50-100 feet of penetration. If I can and the passage allows it I am usually right beside my partner, pulling and gliding as we go.
But Good answer thank-you

fgray1:
I like Rick, hold my light seldom. I clip it to my left side D ring at my shoulder. Keeping the cord tucked in my waist. Having both hands free at all times is a plus. Should you need to do one of those skills you hope you never need. IE valve drill due to knock down. Only happened twice so far. :)
Pulling with one hand beats the crap out of that hands finger tips. More fun to have both hands hurt. :)

"knock down" I think you mean "roll off"

Every diver should be in the habit of checking that left post routinely, especially after coming through any kind of restriction or after contacting the ceiling or coming close to a wall, this should become an automatic check. And it never hurts to work those valves during a safety/deco stop

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom