Ton O’ Teeth: Fossil or recent sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Someone gave me these and they feel like pebbles, small, dime to quarter size. I have a cookie tin worth. Make necklaces? How to drill holes?

87095757-9068-46B9-BE8C-396CCF1A3912.jpeg

Fossil. I keep my little ones in a jar.

You could pick out some of the nicer ones and put them in a small stand. Ex. Below. The stand was about $2 at FossilEra.com.

74B91600-2394-4F6F-A912-02864B6DB81C.jpeg

Someone gave me these and they feel like pebbles, small, dime to quarter size. I have a cookie tin worth. Make necklaces? How to drill holes?

View attachment 535396

The display idea is good for some,

I would try to drill a hole in each "ear" so the point hangs down. Try a standard carbide drill first to see if it works, you migh have to go to diamond. You would need a drill press and a jig to make the hole straight and keep the tooth from moving.

Before I go on, if I put you in hobby overload already, you might want to talk to a jeweler or woodworker if you don't do that kind of thing already. It can be done, and you can do it, but if you don't have access to the right tools it could be a pita.

I've made a few things out of Abalone shells and rock scallop shells, and other bits I've picked up along the way. It sounds and looks like an interesting project.

Bob

You will most likely cause a tooth to break by trying to drill a hole in it. Wrapping the tooth with jewelers wire is the preferred way to make a necklace mount and the wire can be found at hobby shops. Do a search on ebay and you will see lots of them done that way.
Even though the teeth feel like rock, they are very fragile and break easily. I have seen some nice ones dropped and broken over the past 20 years that I have run charters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom